Antibiotics, Antimicrobial Resistance
The potential role of vaccinations in combatting antimicrobial resistance (AMR) is currently undervalued. The distribution and development of new vaccines should be priorities in efforts to address the AMR crisis.
Children deemed low risk who were tested for penicillin allergy tolerated the medication within the following year without serious adverse or allergic reactions.
Use of certain antibiotics may be contributing to the rise of kidney stones among children and adults.
The 36 recalled lots were manufactured by Hospira and marketed by Apotex.
Reducing levels of antibiotic consumption in a population is an effective method for reducing the community prevalence of antibiotic resistance.
Five-day nitrofurantoin may be a better alternative than single-dose fosfomycin for treating uncomplicated UTI in women.
Findings do not provide evidence that antibiotic mixing, compared with antibiotic cycling with 6-week cycling periods, with third-generation or fourth-generation cephalosporins, piperacillin-tazobactam, and carbapenems reduces the prevalence of carriage with antibiotic-resistant, Gram-negative bacteria in the ICU.
Early antibiotic administration in treating infection has evident biological plausibility, however, time-sensitivity to outcomes appears to be most relevant in septic shock.
Cross-sectional survey represents the first assessment of antimicrobial prescription practices for prophylaxis in pediatric patients hospitalized worldwide.
Additional studies are needed to investigate whether there are differences between individual fluoroquinolones with respect to the risk for aortic aneurysm.
The need for innovative new infection prevention programs, antibiotics, and vaccines to prevent and treat antibiotic-resistant infections is an international priority.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Infectious Disease Advisor Articles
- Importance of PrEP for People Involved in Criminal Justice Systems
- Increasing Incidence of Syphilis in People With HIV
- FDA: Possible Risk of Neural Tube Birth Defects With Certain Antiretroviral Agents
- Fungal Infections of the CNS: Diagnostic and Treatment Approaches
- Study Supports Development of a Vaccine for Recurrent Vulvovaginal Candidiasis
- Early Flow Cytometry Predictive of Clinical Deterioration in Sepsis
- Could a New Universal Tuberculosis Regimen Help End the TB Pandemic?
- Hepatitis C Virus Infection Linked to Gut Dysbiosis
- Two Hepatitis C Virus Infection Treatments to Be Discontinued
- Antibiotic Use During Pregnancy May Increase Risk for Childhood Asthma