It is important to understand the relative severity of CDI in patients in the ICU because it effects treatment decisions. However, primary prevention remains a vitally important strategy to limit morbidity and mortality related to CDI in this vulnerable patient population.
Given the impact of postoperative Clostridium difficile infection, a heightened sense of suspicion should be given to symptomatic patients after stoma reversal.
Subgroup analyses of 2 MODIFY trial data confirmed prior C difficile infection (CDI), age ≥65 years, infection with 027/078/244 strain, compromised immunity, and severe CDI are risk factors for recurrent CDI.
FIRVANQ is commercially available in 25 and 50 mg/mL strengths in convenient 150 mL and 300 mL sizes.
Healthcare resource utilization and costs attributable to primary Clostridium difficile infection and recurrent C difficile infection are substantial.
Hospital admissions of patients with Clostridium difficile infection and accompanying acute kidney injury are increasing.
The EXTEND study addresses sustained cure as a primary measure of treatment success in a high-risk patient population, with recurrence monitored up to day 90.
Trehalose has been linked to the growing incidence and severity of healthcare-associated outbreaks caused by Clostridium difficile.
Short-term use of probiotics appears to be safe and effective when used along with antibiotics in patients who are not immunocompromised or severely debilitated.
A study investigated whether fecal microbiota transplantation delivered via oral capsules was as effective as microbiota delivered via colonoscopy for treating recurrent Clostridium difficile infection.
Readmissions for CDI occurred close to hospital discharge, consistent with the CDC's surveillance study findings.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Infectious Disease Advisor Articles
- Importance of PrEP for People Involved in Criminal Justice Systems
- Increasing Incidence of Syphilis in People With HIV
- FDA: Possible Risk of Neural Tube Birth Defects With Certain Antiretroviral Agents
- Fungal Infections of the CNS: Diagnostic and Treatment Approaches
- Study Supports Development of a Vaccine for Recurrent Vulvovaginal Candidiasis
- Early Flow Cytometry Predictive of Clinical Deterioration in Sepsis
- Could a New Universal Tuberculosis Regimen Help End the TB Pandemic?
- Hepatitis C Virus Infection Linked to Gut Dysbiosis
- Two Hepatitis C Virus Infection Treatments to Be Discontinued
- Antibiotic Use During Pregnancy May Increase Risk for Childhood Asthma