Experts review novel antibiotic therapies that may limit the impact on the gut microbiome, as well as passive immunization products that may bolster the immune response to C difficile toxins and possibly reduce the frequency of toxigenic strains.
Therapeutic donor microbes can remain for months or years in patients who've undergone fecal microbiota transplantation.
Recurrent Clostridium difficile infection is associated with a significant economic and mortality burden, but new treatment shows promise.
The FDA granted Breakthrough Therapy designation to Synthetic Biologics' ribaxamase SYN-004 for Clostridium difficile infection prevention.
Community-associated C difficile infection in children was linked to the combination of commonly used antibiotics and exposure to the bacterium in the home and outpatient healthcare settings.
Asymptomatic carriers of Clostridium difficile in hospitals increase infection risk in other patients.
A meta-analysis study shows patients who take gastric acid suppressants have a higher risk for recurrent Clostridium difficile infection.
Antibiotic resistance to therapies for Clostridium difficile infection are common, and their patterns should be considered in algorithms designed to select therapies.
Bezlotoxumab was particularly effective in patients with risk factors for poor outcome, including older age, immunocompromise, and severe infection.
The outbreak of Clostridium difficile in England that began in 2006 was curbed by reducing the use of fluoroquinolones, according to a study.
No difference in the risk of Clostridium difficile infection (CDI) recurrence observed with vancomycin or metronidazole but 30-day mortality risk was significantly lower among patients with severe CDI treated with vancomycin.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Infectious Disease Advisor Articles
- Antibiotic-Resistant Bacteria Have Long Resided on Ready-to-Eat Foods
- Infections Complicate Biologic Use in Autoimmune Inflammatory Disorders
- Tuberculosis Vaccine May Reverse Type 1 Diabetes
- No Benefits Seen for Adjunctive Clindamycin in Cellulitis
- Telbivudine During Early Pregnancy Prevents HBV Transmission
- Maternal Antibodies Hinder Antigenic Responses to Vaccines in Infants
- Sepsis-Related Mortality Decreased With Rapid Implementation of Protocol
- New Assay Targets Susceptibility to Ciprofloxacin in Gonorrhea
- Gut Microbiota Associated With Parkinson's Disease Progression
- Decrease Rate of S aureus Resistance Seen With Certain Antibiotics