The FDA has approved delafloxacin (Baxdela™, Melinta Therapeutics), a new antibacterial drug to treat acute bacterial skin and skin structure infections.
The recurrence of cellulitus can be prevented by antibiotic prophylaxis.
Patients with rheumatoid arthritis receiving tumor necrosis factor inhibitors or using corticosteroids were significantly more likely to have herpes zoster.
House dust mites may act as carriers for immunoglobulin E sensitization to microbial antigens for patients with atopic dermatitis.
A rare case of secondary syphilis which primarily presented with multiple nodules on the scalp has been detailed in a case report.
Patients with a simple abscess who received TMP-SMX along with incision and drainage had improved short-term outcomes compared to those who just received incision and drainage.
The risk of a cardiovascular event may be increased with herpes zoster.
Results from atrial of clindamycin in cellulitis cast doubt on hospital guidelines.
There have been an increase in number of emergency department visits and costs for HZ-related ER visits.
Common rheumatoid arthritis drugs methotrexate and biologics may increase risk for herpes zoster.
Frequent recurrence of erysipelas has been a major challenge to treatment. Investigators looked at adjustments to the dosing schedule to improve efficacy of an existing therapy.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Infectious Disease Advisor Articles
- Guideline Update: Influenza Immunization Recommendations for 2017-2018
- Update on Pediatric HCV: Screening, Treatment, and Other Considerations
- Time to Sputum Culture Conversion Similar in Isoniazid-Resistant and Susceptible TB
- HPV Vaccine Does Not Increase Risk for Adverse Maternal, Infant Outcomes
- DAAs Effective for HCV in Patients With Thalassemia
- Mycoplasma genitalium: Challenges in Diagnosis and Treatment
- FDA: Vabomere Approved for Complicated UTI Following Priority Review
- Update on Safe, Effective Treatments for Latent Tuberculosis Infection
- New CDC Guidelines for SSI Prevention Leave Unanswered Questions
- Influenza Vaccination During Pregnancy Reduces Infant Risk for Acute Lower Respiratory Infection