Many of the recommendations by sports organizations are more stringent than ordinary infection control practices for similar conditions.
Delafloxacin is effective against gram-negative pathogens and has a similar tolerability profile to vancomycin/aztreonam when used in patients with an ASSSSI.
Fixed dose delafloxacin IV/oral monotherapy was comparable to vancomycin/aztreonam in patients with ABSSSI and gram-positive pathogens.
Incidence of adverse events with delafloxacin (Baxdela™, Melinta Therapeutics) was comparable to the combination regimen of vancomycin plus aztreonam across 2 phase 3 registrational ABSSSI studies.
An increased risk of herpes zoster was found in women, elderly patients, and patients with psoriasis.
The recurrence of cellulitus can be prevented by antibiotic prophylaxis.
Patients with rheumatoid arthritis receiving tumor necrosis factor inhibitors or using corticosteroids were significantly more likely to have herpes zoster.
House dust mites may act as carriers for immunoglobulin E sensitization to microbial antigens for patients with atopic dermatitis.
A rare case of secondary syphilis which primarily presented with multiple nodules on the scalp has been detailed in a case report.
Patients with a simple abscess who received TMP-SMX along with incision and drainage had improved short-term outcomes compared to those who just received incision and drainage.
The risk of a cardiovascular event may be increased with herpes zoster.
Results from atrial of clindamycin in cellulitis cast doubt on hospital guidelines.
There have been an increase in number of emergency department visits and costs for HZ-related ER visits.
Common rheumatoid arthritis drugs methotrexate and biologics may increase risk for herpes zoster.
Frequent recurrence of erysipelas has been a major challenge to treatment. Investigators looked at adjustments to the dosing schedule to improve efficacy of an existing therapy.
The FDA has approved delafloxacin (Baxdela™, Melinta Therapeutics), a new antibacterial drug to treat acute bacterial skin and skin structure infections.
Adding trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole to cephalexin treatment for cellulitis does not benefit outcomes compared to cephalexin alone.
Use of standard Helicobacter pylori eradication therapy is associated with improvement in rosacea.
Theravance Biopharma announced positive results from 3 studies on Vibativ (telavancin), a lipoglycopeptide antibiotic.
A carbapenem with vancomycin is the least resistant initial antibiotic combination to use in patients with an infected diabetic foot ulcer.
Researchers find use of antibiotics ineffective for mild clinically infected eczema in children.
Phase 3 study looked at the safety, tolerability, efficacy, and immunogenicity of inactivated VZV Vaccine in recipients of auto-HSCT.
Patients with atopic dermatitis with S aureus had reduced immune response to intradermal influenza vaccination but not intramuscular vaccination.
Intravenous daptomycin may be effective and well-tolerated in children, possibly providing an alternative treatment against methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) skin infections in this patient population.
When treating skin and soft tissue infections (SSTIs) in obese patients, the pharmacokinetic/pharmacodynamic approach offers important data and decision-making tools for optimizing regimens.
The cream is a combination of polyene antifungal and corticosteroid and is indicated for the treatment of cutaneous candidiasis.
Fresenius Kabi's genetic tigecycline injections will be available beginning in 2017.
A recent study found that hog workers in the North Carolina are developing skin infections from multidrug-resistant Staphylococcus aureus.
Understanding of the skin microbiome is crucial to developing new acne treatment methods.
Clindamycin or TMP-SMX following I&D was more effective at curing Staphylococcus aureus infection in children and adults compared with placebo.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Infectious Disease Advisor Articles
- Strategies for Preventing Group B Streptococcus in Infants
- Safety of Clofazimine in Treating Children With Mycobacterium abscessus Infections
- Food Additive Linked to Growing Incidence of Clostridium difficile
- Prevalence of MRSA in ICU Patients After State-Mandated Surveillance
- CDC: Multistate Outbreak of E coli Being Investigated
- Universal Influenza Vaccine: A Game Changer in Prevention
- Guideline Update for Influenza Vaccine in Patients With Egg Allergy
- Update to Pulmonary Tuberculosis Screening Recommendations
- Meningococcal B Vaccine Elicits Bactericidal Responses Against Diverse Strains
- Alternative Therapeutics for Mild Infections May Help to Retain Antibiotic Efficacy
- Insulin Resistance in HCV May Be Reversed With DAAs
- SHEA Releases Contact Precaution Guidelines for Multidrug-Resistant Infections
- Cost-Effectiveness of New Adjuvanted Herpes Zoster Subunit Vaccine
- New Two-Dose Hepatitis B Vaccine for Adults Now Available
- Gastric Acid Inhibitors May Increase Late-Onset Sepsis Risk in Preterm Infants