MicroRNAs are currently under investigation for various clinical applications in infectious disease because of their role in host response to infection and effects on innate and adaptive immune pathways.
A test-and-not-treat strategy may help areas in which loiasis is endemic and onchocerciasis is hypoendemic so that individuals who are not at risk for serious adverse events are safely given ivermectin treatment.
Successive negative HPV and cytology co-testing is linked decrease risks of cervical cancer.
A representative from the California Department of Public Health discusses latent TB infection testing and treatment recommendations and reasons why US physicians have been slow to test for and treat for the condition.
Although detection of Zika virus from conjunctiva has been previously reported, presence of Zika virus RNA in conjunctiva at the late convalescent phase of the disease was not known.
In critical care setting, thrombophlebitis can develop as a consequence of invasive procedures and, in case of bacteremia, it might represent a suitable medium that sustains bacterial growth and subsequent persistent endovascular infection.
Results from this study are novel with respect to the combined use of leukocyte count, procalcitonin, interleukin-6, and paraoxonase-1 activity for mortality prediction.
Diagnosing Lyme disease can be difficult because symptoms vary from one person to another and can resemble symptoms of other infectious diseases spread by ticks.
An automated molecular assay can detect Mycobacterium tuberculosis with resistance to drugs directly from sputum specimens.
The rates of anti-HCV orders and tests were collected from 4 medical specialties within a 30 mile radius of University of Michigan, Ann Arbor campus.
Diagnosis of tuberculous meningitis is challenging, although new, next-generation rapid POC testing holds promise for greatly improved sensitivity. Shorter and more effective treatments are needed.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Infectious Disease Advisor Articles
- Climate Change: Effects on the Incidence and Distribution of Infectious Diseases
- Improving Campaigns Regarding the Value of Adult Vaccines
- Seminal HPV Infection Prevalent Worldwide, May Affect Male Fertility
- Pausing ART to Identify Biomarkers for HIV RNA Rebound: Safety and Ethical Considerations
- MicroRNAs in Infectious Disease: Emerging Clinical Applications
- Efficacy of Direct-Acting Antivirals for HCV Clearance in Older Adults
- SVR Achieved With Sofosbuvir, Grazoprevir/Elbasvir Plus Ribavirin in HCV
- First Oral Smallpox Treatment Submitted to FDA for NDA
- Trends in Meningococcal Disease Following MenACWY Vaccine Introduction
- Clinician Accuracy Evaluated for Lyme Disease