Without proactive measures and response, the changing climate is projected to continue to adversely affect the global incidence and distribution of infectious diseases and cause 250,000 additional deaths per year between 2030 and 2050.
Analysis demonstrated that the differentiation into clades correlated more closely with the presence of an ASSuT genotype and certain MLST sequence types than with the geographic origin of the isolates.
An unusual outbreak of measles was recorded in Ontario, Canada in early 2015.
Individuals with certain occupations or in certain populations may be more at risk of fatality from hantavirus pulmonary syndrome.
Symptoms of Seoul virus infection include fever, headache, and back pain.
CDC is currently investigating cases of Seoul virus infections in 8 workers from several rat-breeding facilities in Illinois and Wisconsin.
New guidelines continue to recommend oral azole antifungal agents, usually fluconazole, as the preferred treatment for most manifestations of coccidioidomycosis that require treatment, including infection in the second and third trimesters of pregnancy.
Between 2013 and 2015, 7 patients with this type of roundworm were reported throughout the United States.
In the absence of something like flu season, all of the germs people run into, even in a crowded environment like the T, are normal.
A. actinomycetemcomitans and S. gordonii can be found together in the human mouth, and are also found in abscesses in the lungs and the brain.
Cases of infection from the bacterium Elizabethkingia included six deaths.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Infectious Disease Advisor Articles
- Strategies for Preventing Group B Streptococcus in Infants
- Safety of Clofazimine in Treating Children With Mycobacterium abscessus Infections
- Food Additive Linked to Growing Incidence of Clostridium difficile
- Prevalence of MRSA in ICU Patients After State-Mandated Surveillance
- CDC: Multistate Outbreak of E coli Being Investigated
- Universal Influenza Vaccine: A Game Changer in Prevention
- Guideline Update for Influenza Vaccine in Patients With Egg Allergy
- Update to Pulmonary Tuberculosis Screening Recommendations
- Meningococcal B Vaccine Elicits Bactericidal Responses Against Diverse Strains
- Alternative Therapeutics for Mild Infections May Help to Retain Antibiotic Efficacy
- Insulin Resistance in HCV May Be Reversed With DAAs
- SHEA Releases Contact Precaution Guidelines for Multidrug-Resistant Infections
- Cost-Effectiveness of New Adjuvanted Herpes Zoster Subunit Vaccine
- New Two-Dose Hepatitis B Vaccine for Adults Now Available
- Gastric Acid Inhibitors May Increase Late-Onset Sepsis Risk in Preterm Infants