Without proactive measures and response, the changing climate is projected to continue to adversely affect the global incidence and distribution of infectious diseases and cause 250,000 additional deaths per year between 2030 and 2050.
A test-and-not-treat strategy may help areas in which loiasis is endemic and onchocerciasis is hypoendemic so that individuals who are not at risk for serious adverse events are safely given ivermectin treatment.
Evidence suggests a link between the Zika virus infection and Guillain-Barré Syndrome.
Analysis demonstrated that the differentiation into clades correlated more closely with the presence of an ASSuT genotype and certain MLST sequence types than with the geographic origin of the isolates.
Many patients with a previous West Nile virus infection have abnormalities on neurologic examination several years after they were infected.
First-hand accounts of the care that was delivered during the 2013-16 West African outbreak of Ebola virus disease provided impetus for these guidelines.
The Zika virus preferentially targets glioblastoma stem cells.
This updated interim guidance is based on current, limited data about Zika virus infection, and reflects the information available as of September 2017.
A rapid immunochromatography approach can differentiate dengue and Zika virus cases
The Zika virus may be associated with a high risk for neurologic complications in affected adults.
A single serine to glutamin substitution (S139N) in the viral polyprotein substantially increased Zika virus infectivity in both human and mouse neural progenitor cells.
Testing for Zika virus in blood products follows FDA recommendations for the screening of individual units of whole blood and blood components.
Retinal maldevelopment associated with congenital Zika syndrome is similar to the maldevelopment seen with cobalamin C deficiency.
The Zika virus thrives in pregnant women by suppressing their already dampened immune systems and running roughshod over their body's natural defenses.
The Zika virus might not last in the semen of infected men as long as previously thought.
Zika virus doesn't appear to be transmitted through saliva in rhesus monkeys.
The FDA issued an Emergency Use Authorization for the Center for Infection and Immunity-ArboViroPlex rRT-PCR Test for Zika virus detection.
Two experimental vaccines may help protect fetuses against the Zika virus.
Infants exposed to the Zika virus in utero should have their eyes examined for possible virus-related abnormalities.
Zika infection can be ruled out or confirmed by testing fetal and placental tissue according to a study published in Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report.
The number of US counties with Zika-carrying mosquitoes is up.
A small percentage of Ebola virus survivors have a novel retinal lesion as a result of the disease.
An unusual outbreak of measles was recorded in Ontario, Canada in early 2015.
Research shows the 2016 Zika outbreak in Florida was linked to 4 separate events that introduced and spread the virus.
A new rapid, low-cost test may enable on-site detection of Zika virus in mosquitoes and human blood and semen, allowing for more efficient disease surveillance and diagnosis.
US women traveling to active Zika virus areas may be less likely to get infected than expected.
The number of suspected Ebola cases in the Democratic Republic of Congo has risen to 37.
Passage of the 2017 budget, along with congressional approval of the AHCA, leaves large holes in the funding of the proposed national approach to infectious disease control.
A Zika virus infection outbreak in the United States could be very costly.
Zika virus may lead to lifelong vision impairment in affected infants.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Infectious Disease Advisor Articles
- Strategies for Preventing Group B Streptococcus in Infants
- Safety of Clofazimine in Treating Children With Mycobacterium abscessus Infections
- Food Additive Linked to Growing Incidence of Clostridium difficile
- Prevalence of MRSA in ICU Patients After State-Mandated Surveillance
- CDC: Multistate Outbreak of E coli Being Investigated
- Universal Influenza Vaccine: A Game Changer in Prevention
- Guideline Update for Influenza Vaccine in Patients With Egg Allergy
- Update to Pulmonary Tuberculosis Screening Recommendations
- Meningococcal B Vaccine Elicits Bactericidal Responses Against Diverse Strains
- Alternative Therapeutics for Mild Infections May Help to Retain Antibiotic Efficacy
- Insulin Resistance in HCV May Be Reversed With DAAs
- SHEA Releases Contact Precaution Guidelines for Multidrug-Resistant Infections
- Cost-Effectiveness of New Adjuvanted Herpes Zoster Subunit Vaccine
- New Two-Dose Hepatitis B Vaccine for Adults Now Available
- Gastric Acid Inhibitors May Increase Late-Onset Sepsis Risk in Preterm Infants