Emerging Treatments in HIV
Effective and promising tools on display at AIDS 2016 for HIV prevention progress.
Once-daily regimens have been shown to improve adherence to treatment with no adverse effect on outcomes in patients with HIV.
Primary study end point was noninferiority of the single-tablet regimen vs control, related to virologic rebound, cumulative through week 48.
Phase 3 study assessed efficacy and safety of switching to bictegravir/emtricitabine/tenofovir alafenamide from a multi-tablet regimen containing a boosted protease inhibitor regimen in virologically suppressed patients with HIV.
Virological response, efficacy, noninferiority, and tolerability were tested for bictegravir, emtricitabine, and tenofovir alafenamide vs dolutegravir, abacavir, and lamivudine.
The FDA has granted Priority Review to the New Drug Application for Gilead's investigational single-tablet regimen in the treatment of HIV-1 infection.
One-week amphotericin plus flucytosine was found to have comparable efficacy and safety profiles as the standard of care, 2-weeks amphotericin-based therapy, for treatment of HIV-associated cryptococcal meningitis in African patients.
The combination of long-acting intramuscular cabotegravir plus rilpivirine was demonstrated to be as effective as 3-drug daily oral ART for maintaining viral suppression of HIV-1 for up to 96 weeks in the LATTE-2 phase 2b study.
Gilead announced results from 2 Phase 3 studies for the investigational fixed-dose HIV regimen with bictegravir and emtricitabine for the treatment of treatment-naive adults with HIV.
Gilead submitted their single-tablet regimen containing bictegravir, emtricitabine, and tenofovir alafenamide for HIV-1 treatment to the FDA.
Pitavastatin reduced low-density lipoprotein cholesterol to a greater extent than pravastatin with a similar safety profile in patients with HIV and dyslipidemia.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Infectious Disease Advisor Articles
- Are Antibiotic Stewardship Programs the Antidote to Antibiotic Overuse?
- Better Detection and Treatment Needed for H pylori Infections in Children
- FDA Approves New Hepatitis B Vaccine for Adults
- Strategies for Preventing Antibiotic Resistance in Acne
- Oral HPV Prevalence Higher in Men With Concurrent Genital HPV
- Study Finds Burnout Occurs in Over Half of US Surgeons
- HPV Vaccine Linked to Lower Respiratory Papillomatosis Rates
- Novel Antifungal Agent for Treatment of Aspergillus flavus Infections
- Inappropriate Antibiotic Use for Acute Bronchitis Highest in Younger Adults
- ACP, CDC Provides Best Practice Advice on Hepatitis B Management