An imbalance in gut microbiota may be associated with the progression of Parkinson's disease.
Multidrug-resistant gram-negative bacteria can be found in more than 1-quarter of nursing-home residents.
Microbleeds in the brain that lead to stroke and cognitive impairment may be tied to Streptococcus mutans.
Patients with rheumatoid arthritis are often not appropriately vaccinated against herpes zoster, despite vaccine recommendations.
Rates of herpes zoster vaccination coverage vary significantly on national and state-by-state levels.
Patients 67 years and older were more likely to be affected by group B streptococci or group C and G streptococci strains.
Individuals with periodontitis have a higher risk of developing dementia than those without.
Nearly 14,000 adults age 70 and older received either 2 doses of the experimental HZ/su vaccine or a placebo.
Pain caused by HZ has a large impact on quality of life.
Efficacy decreased from 68.7% to 4.2%.
Antibody levels were associated with unadjusted risks of incident frailty and mortality in community-dwelling older women.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Infectious Disease Advisor Articles
- Guideline Update: Influenza Immunization Recommendations for 2017-2018
- Update on Pediatric HCV: Screening, Treatment, and Other Considerations
- Time to Sputum Culture Conversion Similar in Isoniazid-Resistant and Susceptible TB
- HPV Vaccine Does Not Increase Risk for Adverse Maternal, Infant Outcomes
- DAAs Effective for HCV in Patients With Thalassemia
- Mycoplasma genitalium: Challenges in Diagnosis and Treatment
- FDA: Vabomere Approved for Complicated UTI Following Priority Review
- Update on Safe, Effective Treatments for Latent Tuberculosis Infection
- New CDC Guidelines for SSI Prevention Leave Unanswered Questions
- Influenza Vaccination During Pregnancy Reduces Infant Risk for Acute Lower Respiratory Infection