While the health-related burden of rheumatic heart disease has declined worldwide, but high rates of disease persist in some of the poorest regions in the world.
An imbalance in gut microbiota may be associated with the progression of Parkinson's disease.
Antibiotics may not be as effective in treating urinary tract infections in older adults.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention found that 76% of US healthcare facilities reported cases of Legionnaires' disease.
Multidrug-resistant gram-negative bacteria can be found in more than 1-quarter of nursing-home residents.
The adjuvanted H7N1 vaccine was safe and immunogenic after 2 doses in adults age 65 and older, according to a new study.
Neutrophil-to-lymphocyte ratio (NLR) can predict 30-day mortality for elderly adults with community-acquired pneumonia (CAP).
Risk for pneumonia should be considered when weighing the benefits and risks of benzodiazepines in patients with Alzheimer disease.
An expert Q&A with Florian Kern, PhD, deputy director of research at Brighton and Sussex Medical School in the UK, who makes the case that cytomegalovirus is a major driver of cardiovascular disease in patients with rheumatoid arthritis.
Compared to infections by H1N1 or influenza B viruses, H3N2 influenza viruses have been associated with higher mortality in older adults.
Of the nursing homes reporting multidrug-resistant organism infection in the past year, 31% used isolation at least once among residents with multidrug-resistant organism infection.
Microbleeds in the brain that lead to stroke and cognitive impairment may be tied to Streptococcus mutans.
Researchers investigated the effect that antidementia drugs have on patients' risk of developing pneumonia.
High-dose vitamin D supplementation reduced the incident of acute respiratory infection in older long-term care residents.
Temporary discontinuation of methotrexate can improve seasonal flu vaccination immunogenicity among patients with rheumatoid arthritis.
Patients with rheumatoid arthritis are often not appropriately vaccinated against herpes zoster, despite vaccine recommendations.
Rates of herpes zoster vaccination coverage vary significantly on national and state-by-state levels.
Patients 67 years and older were more likely to be affected by group B streptococci or group C and G streptococci strains.
Individuals with periodontitis have a higher risk of developing dementia than those without.
Data from over 5000 octogenarians were studied to determine if non-receipt of the pneumococcal vaccine can be linked to an increased risk of incident HF.
In suspected pneumonia cases, antibiotics were often prescribed before lab results were available.
Nearly 14,000 adults age 70 and older received either 2 doses of the experimental HZ/su vaccine or a placebo.
Pain caused by HZ has a large impact on quality of life.
Efficacy decreased from 68.7% to 4.2%.
Antibody levels were associated with unadjusted risks of incident frailty and mortality in community-dwelling older women.
Exercise was associated with higher likelihood of respiratory hospitalization than health education.
Many do not tell their doctors, putting them at risk for dangerous drug interactions.
In the 2015 to 2016 season, through Feb. 12, 2016, influenza vaccine effectiveness was 59% against medically-attended influenza.
Participants in the study group aged 50-59 had the best immune response.
Chance of stroke, myocardial infarction increased most in the first week after diagnosis.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Infectious Disease Advisor Articles
- Generic HIV Medicines: Boon or Bust?
- Insulin-Treated Diabetes Reduces Dysglycemia-Related Mortality in Sepsis
- Pregnancy May Be Independently Associated With Prolonged Detection of Zika Virus RNA
- It Costs $2.2 Billion a Year to Treat Antibiotic Resistance
- Tricyclic Antidepressants May Reduce Cirrhosis Risk in Hepatitis C
- Fingerstick Point-of-Care Test Allows for Single-Visit HCV Diagnoses
- Clostridium difficile Infection in the Intensive Care Setting
- Combating Medically Important Antibiotic Use in Food-Producing Animals
- Religious Exemptions vs Mandatory Vaccinations: An Expert Perspective
- 2018 Vaccination Schedule: Adults
- Efficacy of Adjuvanted vs Conventional Quadrivalent Flu Vaccine Compared
- Glecaprevir/Pibrentasvir Highly Efficacious for HCV/HIV Coinfection
- Fluoroquinolone Use May Increase Risk for Aortic Aneurysm and Dissection
- Reduced Risk of Hepatocellular Carcinoma in DAA-Treated HCV Infection
- Paracetamol Overuse During Cold and Flu Season