A 3-part strategy was announced to combat the hepatitis A outbreak in San Diego, California.
A multifaceted hand hygiene intervention may have a short-term effect on mortality in nursing homes. Nevertheless, other strategies may remain necessary to reduce morbidity.
Researchers found that patients were willing to remind health care professionals, especially nurses, to wash their hands.
Cases of Legionnaires' disease in New York City and Las Vegas are being investigated by health officials.
Time matters more than water temperature for effective hand washing.
Bi-directional mechanisms linking periodontal disease to the development of rheumatoid arthritis may offer biomarkers for the development of RA and treatment objectives that influence the courses of both inflammatory conditions.
Offering hand sanitizer to the patient and clinician at the same time, deemed "co-washing," is a simple intervention that can be implemented in almost any practice and possibly reduce infection rates.
Nosocomial legionellosis as a result of heat exchangers installed in a hospital in Sherbrooke, Canada.
The ruling applies to consumer products containing 1 or more of 19 specific active ingredients.
The report, which included information on 1,075 contact lens-related infections that were reported to a Food and Drug Administration database, noted that 1 in 5 contact lens related infections often led to more serious eye complications.
The request is part of the FDA's larger, ongoing review of OTC antiseptic active ingredients to ensure these ingredients are safe and effective.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Infectious Disease Advisor Articles
- Importance of PrEP for People Involved in Criminal Justice Systems
- Increasing Incidence of Syphilis in People With HIV
- FDA: Possible Risk of Neural Tube Birth Defects With Certain Antiretroviral Agents
- Fungal Infections of the CNS: Diagnostic and Treatment Approaches
- Study Supports Development of a Vaccine for Recurrent Vulvovaginal Candidiasis
- Early Flow Cytometry Predictive of Clinical Deterioration in Sepsis
- Could a New Universal Tuberculosis Regimen Help End the TB Pandemic?
- Hepatitis C Virus Infection Linked to Gut Dysbiosis
- Two Hepatitis C Virus Infection Treatments to Be Discontinued
- Antibiotic Use During Pregnancy May Increase Risk for Childhood Asthma