Live Coverage from IDWeek 2015
City officials meanwhile, are crediting this policy change with possibly helping to identify a more recent cluster of cases in the Morris Park, Bronx, which was first reported Sept. 21 and has subsequently led to illness in 15 individuals, one of whom has died.
Kidneys from blood culture positive donors are not associated with graft and patient survival, however.
Statin use caused lower incidence of liver disease progression in HIV and HCV co-infected individuals.
New meta-analysis also found no significant difference in risk between antimicrobial agents in head-to-head trials.
Immune responses to RV5 were higher than placebo regardless of HIV exposure.
The researchers concluded that individuals with an HAI had a 21.6% risk of mortality within 90 days of being released from the hospital as compared with 14.7% of individuals without an HAI.
Sites that had mandatory influenza vaccination programs and high influenza vaccine rates had lower sick day ratios.
Influenza surveillance and response remains an ongoing, and changing, challenge-and pandemic preparedness goes well beyond stockpiling vaccines, noted speakers at IDWeek 2015's closing plenary session.
New studies may clarify the risks associated with antibiotic combinations that include vancomycin, a drug with well-known nephrotoxicities.
Researchers report a significant drop in 30-day post-operative infection rate.
Opioid use was associated with an increased risk of hospitalizations for serious infections, and was higher with current use at higher daily doses and when using long-acting formulations, data from a case series analysis has shown at IDWeek 2015.
The outbreak was the 'canary in the coalmine,' according to a speaker at IDWeek 2015.
The findings suggest the lack of pretravel vaccination was a factor in illness outbreaks.
Antibiotic Stewardship Program Reduced C. diff and Related Costs in Hospitalized Children, Study Says
When all antibiotics were evaluated, annual costs decreased from $277,620 to $221,590 for a total yearly savings of $56,030.
Even though many of the patients had vague early signs of an infection, such as weakness, or lethargy, it was the fall that brought them in.
Validation of this CPR, which is ongoing, could be used to assess disease severity and inform clinical decision making.
IR-guided bone culture may be useful in treating patients with pediatric AHO, but more data are needed.
Ian Crozier, MD, has been described as the sickest person ever to survive Ebola Virus Disease, or EVD. Presenting his story as a survivor at IDWeek 2015, he said he was "happy to be here."
Disease severity was higher in obese patients during the 2011-2012 and 2012-2013 influenza seasons.
International Travel Factors May Influence Antibiotic-Resistant Enterobacteriaceae in Healthy Children
Overall, third generation cephalosporin-resistant E. coli (3GC-R Ec) carriage was 4.2% and ranged from 3.4% to 5.1% among the study sites.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Check out what's trending
Infectious Disease Advisor Articles
- Practical Tips to Improve HIV/AIDS Medication Adherence
- Threat of Zika Virus Still Significant in California
- Protective Role of Pre-F Antibodies Against RSV Acute Respiratory Infection
- HCV Neuropsychiatric Symptoms Likely Linked to Virus' Effects on Brain Function
- Prenatal Tdap Vaccination Not Associated With an Increased Risk of Autism
- Evaluation of Appropriateness of Ceftriaxone Use in the Emergency Department
- Risk Factors for Prosthetic Joint Infection Increase Likelihood for Surgical Revision
- CDC: Increase in Rate of STDs for Fourth Consecutive Year in the United States
- Effect of Respiratory Tract Microbiome on Susceptibility to Viral Infections
- Gram-Negative Bacteria Antibiotic Susceptibility for Pneumonia in the ICU
- Food Insecurity Associated With Substance Use in Women Infected With HIV
- Penicillin Allergies: Commonly Reported but Rarely Accurate
- Neisseria Meningitidis Serogroup W Infections Increasing in Georgia
- Cardiac Changes Linked With Specific ARVs in Perinatally Acquired HIV
- Physical Activity Associated With Cognitive Benefits in Women Living With HIV