Elevated Serum Amylase and/or Serum Lipase
Pancreatic carcinoma is associated with a very short life span following diagnosis.
Commonly Encountered Situations
Acute pancreatitis is the most common of the disorders listed.
Suggested Additional Lab Testing
Tests to assess alcohol intake and triglyceride levels are useful.
Most common causes include alcohol abuse and gallstones.
Less common causes include hypertriglyceridemia, infections, and trauma to pancreas.
Bentiromide test is a noninvasive test to assess pancreatic function in chronic pancreatitis, based on the hydrolysis by chymotrypsin of an orally administered synthetic peptide.
CA 19-9 may be useful to monitor response to therapy in patients with pancreatic cancer, but it is not specific to pancreatic cancer.
Copyright © 2017, 2013 Decision Support in Medicine, LLC. All rights reserved.
No sponsor or advertiser has participated in, approved or paid for the content provided by Decision Support in Medicine LLC. The Licensed Content is the property of and copyrighted by DSM.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Infectious Disease Advisor Articles
- The Misuse of Antibiotics in Acute Pancreatitis Appears Widespread
- ART Reduces Neurocognitive Impairment in Patients Living With HIV
- Polio-Like Condition in Children on Rise in the United States
- Pneumococcal H Influenzae Protein D Conjugate Vaccine Effective in Children
- Mental Health Problems in Adolescents With HIV: Overview & Expert Interview
- Epidemiology of K pneumoniae Carbapenemase-Producing Enterobacteriaceae Infections in Children
- Social Support Important in Short-Term Care for Older Adults With HIV
- High-Dose Influenza Vaccination May Benefit Transplant Recipients
- Low-Dose Methotrexate: No Effect on Endothelial Function in Patients Treated for HIV
- Updated HCV Treatment Guidelines for 2018 Published by AASLD-IDSA