Elevated Serum Amylase and/or Serum Lipase
Pancreatic carcinoma is associated with a very short life span following diagnosis.
Commonly Encountered Situations
Acute pancreatitis is the most common of the disorders listed.
Suggested Additional Lab Testing
Tests to assess alcohol intake and triglyceride levels are useful.
Most common causes include alcohol abuse and gallstones.
Less common causes include hypertriglyceridemia, infections, and trauma to pancreas.
Bentiromide test is a noninvasive test to assess pancreatic function in chronic pancreatitis, based on the hydrolysis by chymotrypsin of an orally administered synthetic peptide.
CA 19-9 may be useful to monitor response to therapy in patients with pancreatic cancer, but it is not specific to pancreatic cancer.
Copyright © 2017, 2013 Decision Support in Medicine, LLC. All rights reserved.
No sponsor or advertiser has participated in, approved or paid for the content provided by Decision Support in Medicine LLC. The Licensed Content is the property of and copyrighted by DSM.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Infectious Disease Advisor Articles
- Pediatric Outpatient Antimicrobial Stewardship: Minimizing Antibiotic Duration
- Better Detection and Treatment Needed for H pylori Infections in Children
- Are Antibiotic Stewardship Programs the Antidote to Antibiotic Overuse?
- FDA Approves New Hepatitis B Vaccine for Adults
- Strategies for Preventing Antibiotic Resistance in Acne
- Dual Regimen Provides Simple and Safe Salvage Therapy in HIV-1
- Effectiveness of Ledipasvir/Sofosbuvir for Acute HCV Infection in HIV
- Diclofenac Inferior to Norfloxacin for UTI Symptom Relief
- Legionella Linked to Most Drinking Water-Associated Outbreaks
- Preventing HCV Transmission: Utility of Needle/Syringe Programs