Intact or not red blood cells secondary to bleeding in the urinary tract
Urinary tract infections are a common cause
In older individuals, malignancy must be ruled out
Clinical evidence for a neoplastic disease
History of renal trauma
History of blood transfusion
History of burns
Cause for renal infarction
Suggested Additional Lab Testing
For hemoglobinuria with urinary tract infection, complete blood count with white blood cell differential is useful. If hemoglobinuria might be explained by hemolytic anemia, a work-up for hemolysis, including a serum haptoglobin level, bilirubin, and lactate dehydrogenase, can be useful. Incompatibility of transfusion products with hemolysis is important to consider.
Copyright © 2017, 2013 Decision Support in Medicine, LLC. All rights reserved.
No sponsor or advertiser has participated in, approved or paid for the content provided by Decision Support in Medicine LLC. The Licensed Content is the property of and copyrighted by DSM.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Infectious Disease Advisor Articles
- Clinicians Warn That Zika Virus May Still Be an Area of Concern for Travelers
- Inappropriate Prescribing of Antibiotics High in Urgent Care Centers
- Fixed-Dose Bictegravir Regimen: A Safe Alternative in Adults With HIV-1
- Point-Counterpoint: Should We Implement Needle Exchange Programs for the Prevention of Hepatitis C Virus?
- FDA: Vibrio parahaemolyticus Illnesses Tied to Fresh Crab Meat From Venezuela
- Universal Purchase Programs in the United States May Not Effectively Increase Vaccination Rates
- Tick-Caused Meat Allergy on the Rise in the United States
- Prognostic Biomarkers to Guide Antibiotic Therapy in Critically Ill Patients
- Sofosbuvir/Velpatavir Effective for HCV-Infected Liver Transplant Recipients
- Are Hospital Staff Failing to Practice Transmission-Based Precautions?
- Effects of Shortening Pre-Exposure Intradermal Rabies Vaccination Schedule
- Amniotic Fluid Is Sterile in Uncomplicated Term Pregnancies
- H1N1 Immune Priming and Egg-Adaptation Affect Antibody Responses After Vaccination
- Primary Cervical HPV Testing Reduces High-Grade Cervical Neoplasia at 48 Months
- Salmonella Outbreak in 26 States Linked to Raw Turkey Products