Low Serum or Plasma Potassium
Treatment with drugs
Loop or thiazide diuretics
Mineralocorticoids such as aldosterone and corticosterone
Antibiotics such as carbenicillin and ticarcillin
GI losses of potassium from vomiting, diarrhea, malabsorption
Aldosteronism may be primary or secondary, as in renal artery stenosis.
Endogenous or exogenous increase in corticosteroids from Cushing syndrome or dietary or parenteral potassium deprivation (IV fluids w/out potassium supplementation)
Alkalosis from extracellular to intracellular shift of potassium
Excess licorice ingestion
Suggested Additional Lab Testing
Serum aldosterone to assess for primary and secondary hyperaldosteronism
24-hour urine free cortisol to assess for Cushing syndrome
Blood gases to evaluate possible alkalosis
Copyright © 2017, 2013 Decision Support in Medicine, LLC. All rights reserved.
No sponsor or advertiser has participated in, approved or paid for the content provided by Decision Support in Medicine LLC. The Licensed Content is the property of and copyrighted by DSM.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Infectious Disease Advisor Articles
- Clinicians Warn That Zika Virus May Still Be an Area of Concern for Travelers
- Inappropriate Prescribing of Antibiotics High in Urgent Care Centers
- Fixed-Dose Bictegravir Regimen: A Safe Alternative in Adults With HIV-1
- Point-Counterpoint: Should We Implement Needle Exchange Programs for the Prevention of Hepatitis C Virus?
- FDA: Vibrio parahaemolyticus Illnesses Tied to Fresh Crab Meat From Venezuela
- Universal Purchase Programs in the United States May Not Effectively Increase Vaccination Rates
- Tick-Caused Meat Allergy on the Rise in the United States
- Prognostic Biomarkers to Guide Antibiotic Therapy in Critically Ill Patients
- Sofosbuvir/Velpatavir Effective for HCV-Infected Liver Transplant Recipients
- Are Hospital Staff Failing to Practice Transmission-Based Precautions?
- Effects of Shortening Pre-Exposure Intradermal Rabies Vaccination Schedule
- Amniotic Fluid Is Sterile in Uncomplicated Term Pregnancies
- H1N1 Immune Priming and Egg-Adaptation Affect Antibody Responses After Vaccination
- Primary Cervical HPV Testing Reduces High-Grade Cervical Neoplasia at 48 Months
- Salmonella Outbreak in 26 States Linked to Raw Turkey Products