Low Serum or Plasma Sodium
Increase in extracellular fluid volume as produced by congestive heart failure, cirrhosis and ascites, producing dilutional hyponatremia
GI loss of sodium from vomiting, diarrhea, or malabsorption, especially with replacement of fluid and not electrolytes
Renal sodium loss from diuretic use or chronic renal insufficiency
Addison's disease producing adrenal insufficiency
Syndrome of inappropriate antidiuretic hormone secretion (SIADH), as caused by a CNS lesion, pulmonary disease, carcinoma, porphyria
Suggested Additional Lab Testing
Tests for the presence of congestive heart failure and cirrhosis
Indicators of renal function, such as creatinine and BUN
Serum aldosterone level
Serum or plasma BUN, and urine sodium and osmolarity, are valuable in demonstrating hyponatremia and differentiating among the causes of hyponatremia.
In SIADH, both urine sodium and urine osmolarity are increased.
In the presence of a diuretic inducing hyponatremia, urine sodium is increased, but urine osmolarity is usually isotonic to plasma.
Copyright © 2017, 2013 Decision Support in Medicine, LLC. All rights reserved.
No sponsor or advertiser has participated in, approved or paid for the content provided by Decision Support in Medicine LLC. The Licensed Content is the property of and copyrighted by DSM.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Infectious Disease Advisor Articles
- HIV Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis Linked to Drop in Condom Use
- PCV13 Reduces Hospitalization for Vaccine-Type Community-Acquired Pneumonia
- ART Simplification Does Not Affect Systemic Inflammation in Virologically Suppressed HIV
- Higher Rate of Mother-to-Child Transmission Among Women With Perinatal HIV
- 60 Sickened So Far in Salmonella-Tainted Melon Outbreak
- The Role of Dietary Trehalose in the Clostridium difficile Epidemic
- Etiology of Acute Liver Failure Can Yield Surprising Findings
- How Many Chances Are Too Many? Treating Recurrent Infective Endocarditis in IV Drug Users
- Delay of Lactate Draws in Sepsis Ups Risk of In-Hospital Death
- Continuous Medicaid Coverage Essential for People Living With HIV
- Mandatory Influenza Vaccination Advised for Healthcare Personnel in VA, Non-VA Hospitals
- Human Challenge Studies in Infectious Disease: Despite Need for Rigorous Oversight, Studies Are Vital
- Kellogg's Honey Smacks Cereal Recalled Due to Salmonella Risk
- FDA Approves New Treatment for Onchocerciasis
- No Association Between Rotavirus Vaccination and Intussusception in New Study