Nathalie Tufenkji, PhD, and colleagues at McGill University in Québec found that a phenolic rich extract from maple syrup (PRMSE) can increase the potency of commonly used antibiotics, ciprofloxacin and carbencillin, against Escherichia coli, Proteus mirabilis, and Pseudomonas aeruginosa.
Drs Tapper and Crum-Cianflone discuss aspergillosis, an emerging complication of severe influenza infections.
Among healthcare workers, influenza vaccination rates increased and ILI/ARI decreased.
Mauro Schechter, MD, shares his first-hand account with Zika virus.
Whole genome sequencing is being used by the US Food and Drug Administration to combat the global spread of antibiotic resistance bacteria.
Short video on MedWatch Minute, the FDA's reporting and digital delivery network.
Dr Hadley discusses chronic pain in patients with HIV.
Planting a seed early on about what you enjoy and what you don't will get them thinking about a career in infectious diseases.
Capacity at both the state and local levels to implement these tools are an integral part to conducting good surveillance.
According to a report issued last week by the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, many patients that have sepsis had recently used health care services.
A 15-year-old African American girl is admitted to the emergency department complaining of fever, vomiting, headache, back pain, and chills.
In addition to an elevated risk for developing cardiovascular disease, alcohol consumption poses significant health risks in patients with HIV ...
Addressing HIV-related stigma, burden of disclosure, and privacy issues is key to optimizing care in patients with HIV.
Next-generation sequencing technologies promise to improve assessment of the human microbiome, potentially opening the door to a wider set of ...
In the United States and Europe, the risk of HIV transmission from mother to infant had declined to historically low ...
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Infectious Disease Advisor Articles
- New Guideline on HPV Vaccine for Cervical Cancer Prevention
- Tetravalent E coli Vaccine Safe, Immunogenic in Women With Recurrent UTI
- New Bill Before Congress Aims at Addressing Antibiotic Resistance Problem
- Statins Reduce Risk of Cirrhosis Decompensation in HBV, HCV
- Informed Consent in Medical Research in the Digital Age
- The Handoff: Your Week in Infectious Disease News - 4/28/17
- Tuberculosis Increases Risk of Osteoporosis, Osteoporotic Fractures
- Pertussis Booster Dose Safe in Pediatric Patients With IBD
- Ophthalmic Exam Recommended in Infants With Congenital Zika Syndrome
- Does Use of Azithromycin Increase Risk of Ventricular Arrhythmia?