Additional strategies to prevent transmission will be necessary to stop multidrug-resistant (MDR) or extensively drug-resistant tuberculosis in countries with a high burden of MDR tuberculosis.
The NFID urges those 65 and older to receive their annual influenza vaccination to protect against the flu.
A designer protein stopped the influenza virus from infecting cells in culture and protected mice after being exposed to heavy doses of the virus, according to a new study.
The number of suspected Ebola cases in the Democratic Republic of Congo has risen to 37.
Scientists at the University of California San Diego School of Medicine successfully used experimental therapy involving bacteriophages to treat a patient with a multi-drug resistant bacterial infection.
Nathalie Tufenkji, PhD, and colleagues at McGill University in Québec found that a phenolic rich extract from maple syrup (PRMSE) can increase the potency of commonly used antibiotics, ciprofloxacin and carbencillin, against Escherichia coli, Proteus mirabilis, and Pseudomonas aeruginosa.
Drs Tapper and Crum-Cianflone discuss aspergillosis, an emerging complication of severe influenza infections.
Among healthcare workers, influenza vaccination rates increased and ILI/ARI decreased.
Mauro Schechter, MD, shares his first-hand account with Zika virus.
Whole genome sequencing is being used by the US Food and Drug Administration to combat the global spread of antibiotic resistance bacteria.
A 15-year-old African American girl is admitted to the emergency department complaining of fever, vomiting, headache, back pain, and chills.
Skin disorders in patients with HIV are painful and disfiguring, making prompt recognition essential to ensure timely treatment and preserve ...
Data indicates the need for greater emphasis on linkage to care and retention in care in order to achieve the ...
Current evidence suggests probiotics may be beneficial for patients with HIV or AIDS, potentially alleviating HIV-related symptoms and/or delaying disease ...
In addition to an elevated risk for developing cardiovascular disease, alcohol consumption poses significant health risks in patients with HIV ...
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Infectious Disease Advisor Articles
- Climate Change: Effects on the Incidence and Distribution of Infectious Diseases
- Improving Campaigns Regarding the Value of Adult Vaccines
- Seminal HPV Infection Prevalent Worldwide, May Affect Male Fertility
- Pausing ART to Identify Biomarkers for HIV RNA Rebound: Safety and Ethical Considerations
- MicroRNAs in Infectious Disease: Emerging Clinical Applications
- Efficacy of Direct-Acting Antivirals for HCV Clearance in Older Adults
- SVR Achieved With Sofosbuvir, Grazoprevir/Elbasvir Plus Ribavirin in HCV
- First Oral Smallpox Treatment Submitted to FDA for NDA
- Trends in Meningococcal Disease Following MenACWY Vaccine Introduction
- Clinician Accuracy Evaluated for Lyme Disease