Community-acquired pneumonia and other acute infections can cause or exacerbate cardiovascular complications.
Previous antibiotic use and mechanical invasive ventilation were risk factors for multidrug-resistant pathogens in hospital-associated or ventilator-associated pneumonia.
A negative chest radiograph accurately excludes pneumonia in the majority of children.
The full findings from the study will be presented at a future scientific conference; Merck plans to include the data in a supplemental New Drug Application for Zerbaxa which will be submitted to the Food and Drug Administration.
An algorithm based on risk factors for resistant pathogens and illness severity can simplify pneumonia treatment, improve the accuracy of empiric therapy, reduce mortality, and help avoid overusing broad spectrum therapy in some patients.
Rate of incident pneumonia increased in second year after initiating treatment with proton pump inhibitors
Although clinical presentation was similar in both community-acquired pneumonia and non-pneumonia exacerbations, CRP, glucose, and leukocytes were higher in the former vs the latter.
PCV13, marketed as Prevnar 13, was evaluated in a test-negative case-control study in real-world conditions where patients were administered pneumococcal vaccination as advised by their healthcare providers.
Lung ultrasound was more effective in diagnosing pediatric community-acquired pneumonia than chest radiography.
Low-dose computed tomography may assist clinicians in modifying diagnosis of elderly patients who are admitted with suspected pneumonia.
Clinical presentation and outcomes in HIV-infected patients with Legionella pneumonia did not differ from patients without HIV infection.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Infectious Disease Advisor Articles
- The Misuse of Antibiotics in Acute Pancreatitis Appears Widespread
- ART Reduces Neurocognitive Impairment in Patients Living With HIV
- Polio-Like Condition in Children on Rise in the United States
- Pneumococcal H Influenzae Protein D Conjugate Vaccine Effective in Children
- Mental Health Problems in Adolescents With HIV: Overview & Expert Interview
- Epidemiology of K pneumoniae Carbapenemase-Producing Enterobacteriaceae Infections in Children
- Social Support Important in Short-Term Care for Older Adults With HIV
- High-Dose Influenza Vaccination May Benefit Transplant Recipients
- Low-Dose Methotrexate: No Effect on Endothelial Function in Patients Treated for HIV
- Updated HCV Treatment Guidelines for 2018 Published by AASLD-IDSA