Community-acquired pneumonia and other acute infections can cause or exacerbate cardiovascular complications.
Lung ultrasound was more effective in diagnosing pediatric community-acquired pneumonia than chest radiography.
Low-dose computed tomography may assist clinicians in modifying diagnosis of elderly patients who are admitted with suspected pneumonia.
Clinical presentation and outcomes in HIV-infected patients with Legionella pneumonia did not differ from patients without HIV infection.
In this whole-population study, researchers demonstrated a 22% vaccine effect of the 10-valent pneumococcal conjugate vaccine on all-cause acute otitis media.
A higher proportion of patients with COPD and a blood eosinophil count of ≥0.34×109/L had elevated markers of low-grade systemic inflammation regardless of forced expiratory volume in 1 second.
The risk for death in patients with community-acquired pneumonia who were given mechanical ventilation does not seem to be affected by the presence of acute respiratory distress syndrome.
Differences in serum inflammatory markers may exist between patients with community-acquired pneumonia who present within the first 48 hours of symptom onset vs those who present later.
Adults with community-acquired pneumonia that is visualized on CT scan but not on concurrent chest radiograph have similar pathogens, disease severity, and outcomes as patients who had pneumonia confirmed via chest radiograph.
Researchers retrospectively analyzed data from patients hospitalized with pneumococcal community-acquired pneumonia to determine risk factors for pneumococcal bacteremia.
Researchers assessed the timing of azithromycin administration for pediatric community-acquired pneumonia to determine its effectiveness in the setting of macrolide resistance.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Infectious Disease Advisor Articles
- Importance of PrEP for People Involved in Criminal Justice Systems
- Increasing Incidence of Syphilis in People With HIV
- FDA: Possible Risk of Neural Tube Birth Defects With Certain Antiretroviral Agents
- Fungal Infections of the CNS: Diagnostic and Treatment Approaches
- Study Supports Development of a Vaccine for Recurrent Vulvovaginal Candidiasis
- Early Flow Cytometry Predictive of Clinical Deterioration in Sepsis
- Could a New Universal Tuberculosis Regimen Help End the TB Pandemic?
- Hepatitis C Virus Infection Linked to Gut Dysbiosis
- Two Hepatitis C Virus Infection Treatments to Be Discontinued
- Antibiotic Use During Pregnancy May Increase Risk for Childhood Asthma