Study finds that over one-fifth of those prescribed an antibiotic for community-acquired pneumonia experience treatment failure.
A Barcelona study found that patients with HIV required no special treatment for pneumonia compared with healthy individuals.
Use of inhaled corticosteroids is linked to increased risk of pneumonia in patents with asthma.
Neutrophil-to-lymphocyte ratio (NLR) can predict 30-day mortality for elderly adults with community-acquired pneumonia (CAP).
The American Association for Thoracic Surgery has release guidelines on the treatment of empyema from complications of pneumonia.
Patients with type 2 diabetes may be at greater risk of developing community-acquired pneumonia when using thiazolidinediones with metformin compared to treatment with a sulfonylurea and metformin.
Risk for pneumonia should be considered when weighing the benefits and risks of benzodiazepines in patients with Alzheimer disease.
The rate of pneumonia decreased with the introduction of the 10-valent pneumococcal conjugate vaccine (PCV10) in vaccine-eligible children and older, unvaccinated children.
Paratek announced positive outcomes for their phase 3 trial of omadacycline for treating community-acquired bacterial pneumonia.
Age, male gender, underlying cerebrovascular disease, chronic pulmonary disease, congestive heart failure, diabetes mellitus, and usage of antipsychotics were independent risk factors of pneumonia among dementia patients with PPI usage.
Elevated cardiac troponin levels were highly predictive of both in-hospital and long-term mortality in patients admitted for community-acquired pneumonia (CAP).
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Infectious Disease Advisor Articles
- Antibiotic-Resistant Bacteria Have Long Resided on Ready-to-Eat Foods
- Infections Complicate Biologic Use in Autoimmune Inflammatory Disorders
- Tuberculosis Vaccine May Reverse Type 1 Diabetes
- No Benefits Seen for Adjunctive Clindamycin in Cellulitis
- Telbivudine During Early Pregnancy Prevents HBV Transmission
- Maternal Antibodies Hinder Antigenic Responses to Vaccines in Infants
- Sepsis-Related Mortality Decreased With Rapid Implementation of Protocol
- New Assay Targets Susceptibility to Ciprofloxacin in Gonorrhea
- Gut Microbiota Associated With Parkinson's Disease Progression
- Decrease Rate of S aureus Resistance Seen With Certain Antibiotics