The adult population is a key target of antibiotic stewardship efforts for acute bronchitis, since over half of unnecessary prescribing for bronchitis occurs in adult patients.
Many US physicians recommended primary HPV testing for women of all ages, contrary to guidelines which limit this screening approach to women ≥25 years old.
The FDA has approved letermovir for the treatment and prevention of cytomegalovirus.
Providing pregnant women with web-based vaccine information with social media applications during pregnancy is linked to greater proportion of infants up-to-date with vaccination.
CDC's ACIP approves use of Shingrix, a zoster vaccine recombinant, adjuvanted, for the prevention of shingles.
In 2012, >48,000 pertussis cases were reported in the US, the largest number since the mid-1950s and waning immunity from acellular pertussis vaccination is a strong contributor.
Guidelines have been updated for infection prevention in pediatric ambulatory settings.
Many of the recommendations by sports organizations are more stringent than ordinary infection control practices for similar conditions.
Most measles cases in the United States occur in unvaccinated patients.
A study conducted at the University of Cincinnati Medical Center compares antibiotic prophylaxis treatment after cesarean section in 403 obese women.
Infant vaccination effectiveness against HiB and tetanus toxin does not appear to be affected by exposure to biologic therapy taken by mothers with IBD.
People with prosthetic heart valves may be more susceptible to oral streptococcal infective endocarditis following invasive dental procedures.
An analysis of the financial burden associated with rotavirus infection revealed a lower cost burden for children receiving complete and incomplete vaccination relative to completely unvaccinated children.
A new longitudinal study updates the epidemiology of acute otitis media in the decade after pneumococcal conjugate vaccine introduction.
Medical exemption can be obtained with a written letter from a licensed physician with an explanation of why vaccination would be unsafe.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Infectious Disease Advisor Articles
- Are Antibiotic Stewardship Programs the Antidote to Antibiotic Overuse?
- Better Detection and Treatment Needed for H pylori Infections in Children
- FDA Approves New Hepatitis B Vaccine for Adults
- Strategies for Preventing Antibiotic Resistance in Acne
- Oral HPV Prevalence Higher in Men With Concurrent Genital HPV
- Study Finds Burnout Occurs in Over Half of US Surgeons
- HPV Vaccine Linked to Lower Respiratory Papillomatosis Rates
- Novel Antifungal Agent for Treatment of Aspergillus flavus Infections
- Inappropriate Antibiotic Use for Acute Bronchitis Highest in Younger Adults
- ACP, CDC Provides Best Practice Advice on Hepatitis B Management