A representative from the California Department of Public Health discusses latent TB infection testing and treatment recommendations and reasons why US physicians have been slow to test for and treat for the condition.
Report updated the 2006 American College of Chest Physicians clinical practice guideline for cough due to TB and other chronic infections.
Broad-spectrum antibiotics are not associated with better clinical or patient-centered outcomes compared with narrow-spectrum antibiotics in pediatric acute RTI.
Prolonged treatment with high-dose steroids is a significant risk factor for pneumocystis pneumonia in patients with hematologic malignancies, solid organ transplants, and rheumatic diseases.
Prophylactic antibiotics delivered by nebulization in patients who were mechanically ventilated reduced the rate of ventilator-associated pneumonia
The iAdhere study found that once-weekly self-administration of isoniazid and rifapentine had high treatment completion rates in the United States, Hong Kong, Spain, and South Africa.
Additional strategies to prevent transmission will be necessary to stop multidrug-resistant (MDR) or extensively drug-resistant tuberculosis in countries with a high burden of MDR tuberculosis.
New data shows a higher risk of respiratory syncytial virus hospitalization for preterm infants during the 2015-2016 season vs data from the previous season.
Researchers assess all-cause mortality during tuberculosis treatment in patients with diabetes, the use of metformin, and effect sputum culture-conversion rates.
This new risk score may guide the identification of high-risk people who would benefit from preventative measures.
Difficulty breathing and hypoxemia may be a better indication of pneumonia in children.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Infectious Disease Advisor Articles
- Strategies for Preventing Group B Streptococcus in Infants
- Safety of Clofazimine in Treating Children With Mycobacterium abscessus Infections
- Food Additive Linked to Growing Incidence of Clostridium difficile
- Prevalence of MRSA in ICU Patients After State-Mandated Surveillance
- CDC: Multistate Outbreak of E coli Being Investigated
- Universal Influenza Vaccine: A Game Changer in Prevention
- Guideline Update for Influenza Vaccine in Patients With Egg Allergy
- Update to Pulmonary Tuberculosis Screening Recommendations
- Meningococcal B Vaccine Elicits Bactericidal Responses Against Diverse Strains
- Alternative Therapeutics for Mild Infections May Help to Retain Antibiotic Efficacy
- Insulin Resistance in HCV May Be Reversed With DAAs
- SHEA Releases Contact Precaution Guidelines for Multidrug-Resistant Infections
- Cost-Effectiveness of New Adjuvanted Herpes Zoster Subunit Vaccine
- New Two-Dose Hepatitis B Vaccine for Adults Now Available
- Gastric Acid Inhibitors May Increase Late-Onset Sepsis Risk in Preterm Infants