A resolution recently adopted by the World Health Organization's World Health Assembly could significantly lower the incidence and impact of sepsis.
Cardiovascular disease risks persist for years after sepsis or pneumonia.
The quick Sepsis-Related Organ Failure Assessment (qSOFA) clinical tool was superior to SIRS criteria for the evaluation of in-hospital mortality.
A new organ dysfunction scoring system that predicts in-hospital mortality was validated in critically ill children admitted to the pediatric intensive care unit.
An outbreak of septic arthritis linked to intra-articular injections was identified at an outpatient practice in New Jersey.
Asthma patients with infections have a reduced risk of developing sepsis.
Rapid treatment of sepsis using mandated care bundles improves outcomes.
Sepsis is associated with pathways that lead to permanent neurological sequelae, according to research presented at the 2017 AAN annual meeting.
Researchers have updated the 2012 sepsis and septic shock management guidelines based on the results of recent clinical trials.
Compared with pro-calcitonin and C-reactive protein, presepsin has better diagnostic accuracy in discriminating early-onset sepsis.
Among medical conditions, sepsis is a leading cause of hospital readmissions and associated costs.
Using SOFA scores alone may overlook a portion of patients with sepsis at high risk for short-term mortality.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Infectious Disease Advisor Articles
- Clinicians Warn That Zika Virus May Still Be an Area of Concern for Travelers
- Inappropriate Prescribing of Antibiotics High in Urgent Care Centers
- Fixed-Dose Bictegravir Regimen: A Safe Alternative in Adults With HIV-1
- Point-Counterpoint: Should We Implement Needle Exchange Programs for the Prevention of Hepatitis C Virus?
- FDA: Vibrio parahaemolyticus Illnesses Tied to Fresh Crab Meat From Venezuela
- Universal Purchase Programs in the United States May Not Effectively Increase Vaccination Rates
- Tick-Caused Meat Allergy on the Rise in the United States
- Prognostic Biomarkers to Guide Antibiotic Therapy in Critically Ill Patients
- Sofosbuvir/Velpatavir Effective for HCV-Infected Liver Transplant Recipients
- Should Metronidazole Be Recommended for Mild Clostridium difficile Infections?
- Same-Day ART Initiation in HIV+ Pregnant Women Does Not Worsen Outcomes
- Novel Nanodiagnostic Panel May Reduce Empiric Antifungal Use in High-Risk Candidemia
- Antimicrobial Lock Solutions Are Cost-Effective for Preventing Central Line-Associated Bloodstream Infections
- Predictors of Influenza Vaccine Acceptance in Inflammatory Rheumatic Diseases
- Pegylated Interferon, Ribavirin May Improve LV Diastolic Dysfunction in Chronic Hepatitis C