Incidence of adverse events with delafloxacin (Baxdela™, Melinta Therapeutics) was comparable to the combination regimen of vancomycin plus aztreonam across 2 phase 3 registrational ABSSSI studies.
An increased risk of herpes zoster was found in women, elderly patients, and patients with psoriasis.
The recurrence of cellulitus can be prevented by antibiotic prophylaxis.
Patients with rheumatoid arthritis receiving tumor necrosis factor inhibitors or using corticosteroids were significantly more likely to have herpes zoster.
House dust mites may act as carriers for immunoglobulin E sensitization to microbial antigens for patients with atopic dermatitis.
A rare case of secondary syphilis which primarily presented with multiple nodules on the scalp has been detailed in a case report.
Patients with a simple abscess who received TMP-SMX along with incision and drainage had improved short-term outcomes compared to those who just received incision and drainage.
The risk of a cardiovascular event may be increased with herpes zoster.
Results from atrial of clindamycin in cellulitis cast doubt on hospital guidelines.
There have been an increase in number of emergency department visits and costs for HZ-related ER visits.
Common rheumatoid arthritis drugs methotrexate and biologics may increase risk for herpes zoster.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Infectious Disease Advisor Articles
- Strategies for Preventing Group B Streptococcus in Infants
- Safety of Clofazimine in Treating Children With Mycobacterium abscessus Infections
- Food Additive Linked to Growing Incidence of Clostridium difficile
- Prevalence of MRSA in ICU Patients After State-Mandated Surveillance
- CDC: Multistate Outbreak of E coli Being Investigated
- Universal Influenza Vaccine: A Game Changer in Prevention
- Guideline Update for Influenza Vaccine in Patients With Egg Allergy
- Update to Pulmonary Tuberculosis Screening Recommendations
- Meningococcal B Vaccine Elicits Bactericidal Responses Against Diverse Strains
- Alternative Therapeutics for Mild Infections May Help to Retain Antibiotic Efficacy
- Insulin Resistance in HCV May Be Reversed With DAAs
- SHEA Releases Contact Precaution Guidelines for Multidrug-Resistant Infections
- Cost-Effectiveness of New Adjuvanted Herpes Zoster Subunit Vaccine
- New Two-Dose Hepatitis B Vaccine for Adults Now Available
- Gastric Acid Inhibitors May Increase Late-Onset Sepsis Risk in Preterm Infants