Incidence of adverse events with delafloxacin (Baxdela™, Melinta Therapeutics) was comparable to the combination regimen of vancomycin plus aztreonam across 2 phase 3 registrational ABSSSI studies.
An increased risk of herpes zoster was found in women, elderly patients, and patients with psoriasis.
The recurrence of cellulitus can be prevented by antibiotic prophylaxis.
Patients with rheumatoid arthritis receiving tumor necrosis factor inhibitors or using corticosteroids were significantly more likely to have herpes zoster.
House dust mites may act as carriers for immunoglobulin E sensitization to microbial antigens for patients with atopic dermatitis.
A rare case of secondary syphilis which primarily presented with multiple nodules on the scalp has been detailed in a case report.
Patients with a simple abscess who received TMP-SMX along with incision and drainage had improved short-term outcomes compared to those who just received incision and drainage.
The risk of a cardiovascular event may be increased with herpes zoster.
Results from atrial of clindamycin in cellulitis cast doubt on hospital guidelines.
There have been an increase in number of emergency department visits and costs for HZ-related ER visits.
Common rheumatoid arthritis drugs methotrexate and biologics may increase risk for herpes zoster.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Infectious Disease Advisor Articles
- Pediatric Outpatient Antimicrobial Stewardship: Minimizing Antibiotic Duration
- Better Detection and Treatment Needed for H pylori Infections in Children
- Are Antibiotic Stewardship Programs the Antidote to Antibiotic Overuse?
- FDA Approves New Hepatitis B Vaccine for Adults
- Strategies for Preventing Antibiotic Resistance in Acne
- Dual Regimen Provides Simple and Safe Salvage Therapy in HIV-1
- Effectiveness of Ledipasvir/Sofosbuvir for Acute HCV Infection in HIV
- Diclofenac Inferior to Norfloxacin for UTI Symptom Relief
- Legionella Linked to Most Drinking Water-Associated Outbreaks
- Preventing HCV Transmission: Utility of Needle/Syringe Programs