Clofazimine was safe and well-tolerated as part of a multidrug regimen for the treatment of children with Mycobacterium abscessus odontogenic infections.
The FDA accepted a new drug application for plazomicin for complicated urinary tract infections.
Deintensification of treatment from chemoradiotherapy to one modality may compromise safety in patients with human papillomavirus (HPV)+ stage 1 or 2 oropharyngeal cancer.
The benefit of antibiotic treatment needs to be weighed against the potential for adverse effects, at both the individual level (adverse drug reactions) and the population level (as a driver of antibiotic resistance).
A new drug application was submitted to the FDA for oral formula to treat smallpox.
NSAIDs were found to be inferior to antibiotics for symptom relief of uncomplicated urinary tract infection.
Vabomere is now available for the treatment of adults (≥18 years old) with complicated urinary tract infections.
Secnidazole is a 5-nitroimidazole with demonstrated in vitro antimicrobial activity against many anaerobic Gram-negative and Gram-positive bacterial species, while sparing Lactobacillus species.
Three new guidelines discuss the best practice for Helicobacter pylori treatment.
Repeated intravenous administration of penicillin antibiotics appears to be safe in patients with a reported penicillin allergy and a negative penicillin allergy test.
Researchers believe implementation of treatment guidelines for children with sickle cell disease with acute chest syndrome may decrease hospital readmission rates.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Infectious Disease Advisor Articles
- Strategies for Preventing Group B Streptococcus in Infants
- Safety of Clofazimine in Treating Children With Mycobacterium abscessus Infections
- Food Additive Linked to Growing Incidence of Clostridium difficile
- Prevalence of MRSA in ICU Patients After State-Mandated Surveillance
- CDC: Multistate Outbreak of E coli Being Investigated
- Universal Influenza Vaccine: A Game Changer in Prevention
- Guideline Update for Influenza Vaccine in Patients With Egg Allergy
- Update to Pulmonary Tuberculosis Screening Recommendations
- Meningococcal B Vaccine Elicits Bactericidal Responses Against Diverse Strains
- Alternative Therapeutics for Mild Infections May Help to Retain Antibiotic Efficacy
- Insulin Resistance in HCV May Be Reversed With DAAs
- SHEA Releases Contact Precaution Guidelines for Multidrug-Resistant Infections
- Cost-Effectiveness of New Adjuvanted Herpes Zoster Subunit Vaccine
- New Two-Dose Hepatitis B Vaccine for Adults Now Available
- Gastric Acid Inhibitors May Increase Late-Onset Sepsis Risk in Preterm Infants