A tetravalent dengue vaccine candidate (TDV) was found to be safe and immunogenic in an ongoing phase 2 trial. A second TDV dose induced enhanced immunogenicity against DENV-3 and DENV-4 in children who were seronegative before vaccination, supporting the initiation of phase 3 trial to evaluate the efficacy and safety of TDV given in a 2-dose schedule 3 months apart.
A 15-year-old African American girl is admitted to the emergency department complaining of fever, vomiting, headache, back pain, and chills.
Many patients with a previous West Nile virus infection have abnormalities on neurologic examination several years after they were infected.
The FDA has granted accelerated approval for benznidazole as the first US treatment of Chagas disease in children ages 2 to 12 years.
Placental malaria during pregnancy may raise the risk of malaria infection in childhood by promoting maternal microchimerism, in which the fetus acquires noninherited maternal cells during pregnancy. Maternal microchimerism may be the mechanism by which the fetus develops tolerance to malaria antigens, leading to an impaired malaria-specific immune response.
3 IV doses of PfSPZ vaccine conferred protection after immunization against different Pf strains of malaria than the one the vaccine came from.
Investigational vaccine is designed to trigger an immune response to mosquito saliva rather than to a specific virus or parasite carried by mosquitoes.
Blood-donation screening for antibodies to and DNA from B microti was associated with a decrease in the risk of transfusion-transmitted babesiosis.
Children in study were given three doses, but manufacturer now says four doses needed.
A 2015 fatal human rabies case that took weeks to identify in an elderly woman after a bat encounter underscores the need for better public health outreach.
Plasmodium inactivation in whole blood reduces incidence of transfusion-transmitted malaria.
Longer-term antibiotic treatment does not have additional benefits on health-related quality of life among patients with symptoms attributed to Lyme disease.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Infectious Disease Advisor Articles
- Are Antibiotic Stewardship Programs the Antidote to Antibiotic Overuse?
- Better Detection and Treatment Needed for H pylori Infections in Children
- FDA Approves New Hepatitis B Vaccine for Adults
- Strategies for Preventing Antibiotic Resistance in Acne
- Oral HPV Prevalence Higher in Men With Concurrent Genital HPV
- Study Finds Burnout Occurs in Over Half of US Surgeons
- HPV Vaccine Linked to Lower Respiratory Papillomatosis Rates
- Novel Antifungal Agent for Treatment of Aspergillus flavus Infections
- Inappropriate Antibiotic Use for Acute Bronchitis Highest in Younger Adults
- ACP, CDC Provides Best Practice Advice on Hepatitis B Management