Amoxicillin Capsules Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Amoxicillin (as trihydrate) 250mg, 500mg; caps.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Amoxicillin Capsules:
Susceptible infections including ear/nose/throat (ENT), genitourinary tract, skin and skin structures, lower respiratory, acute uncomplicated gonorrhea.
ENT, genitourinary, or skin: 250mg every 8hrs. Severe, less susceptible, or lower respiratory infections: 500mg every 8hrs. Gonorrhea: 3g once. Renal impairment: glomerular filtration rate (GFR) 10–30mL/min: 250mg or 500mg every 12hrs; GFR <10mL/min or hemodialysis: 250mg or 500mg every 24hrs (give additional dose during and at end of dialysis).
≥40kg: as adult. ≤3 months: max 30mg/kg per day in 2 divided doses every 12hrs. >3 months (<40kg): ENT, genitourinary, skin: 20mg/kg per day in 3 divided doses every 8hrs. Severe, less susceptible, or lower respiratory infections: 40mg/kg per day in 3 divided doses every 8hrs. Gonorrhea: <2yrs: not recommended; prepubertal: amoxicillin 50mg/kg + probenecid 25mg/kg as a single dose.
Cephalosporin, imipenem or other allergy: not recommended. Monitor blood, renal, and hepatic function in long-term use. Labor & delivery. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
May cause false (+) glucose test with Clinitest, Benedict's or Fehling's soln. Serum levels increased by probenecid.
GI upset, hypersensitivity reactions (eg, urticaria, rash, Stevens-Johnson syndrome, anaphylaxis), hyperactivity, blood dyscrasias.
Formerly known under the brand names Amoxil, Trimox, Ultimox, Wymox (caps, susp), Polymox (susp).
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Infectious Disease Advisor Articles
- Dundee Severity Classification Improves Management of Patients With Cellulitis
- Three New Ebola Vaccines Demonstrate Persistent Immune Response
- Isavuconazole Not Noninferior to Caspofungin for Invasive Candida Infections
- Pregnant Women Commonly Refuse Vaccines
- Tap Water in Neti Pot Linked to Death From Brain-Eating Amoeba
- Prenatal Malaria Exposure Modulates Innate Immune Responses at Birth
- Best Approach to Reduce Surgical Site Infections Before Colorectal Surgery
- A Single Triple-Drug Treatment for Lymphatic Filariasis
- Cyclosporiasis Cases Markedly Higher in 2018 Than Previous 2 Years
- Mail-Based HPV Testing May Increase Access