Ampicillin sodium Injection Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Ampicillin sodium 125mg, 250mg, 500mg, 1g, 2g, 10g; per vial; pwd for IV or IM inj after reconstitution and dilution.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Ampicillin sodium Injection:
Adults and Children:
Give IV inj slowly over at least 10–15 minutes; rapid IV administration may result in convulsive seizures. Respiratory tract and soft tissue infections: <40kg: 25–50mg/kg per day in equally divided doses every 6–8 hours. ≥40kg: 250–500mg every 6 hours. GI or GU tract infections (including N. gonorrhoeae in women): <40kg: 50mg/kg per day in equally divided doses every 6–8 hours. ≥40kg: 500mg every 6 hours. Urethritis in males due to N. gonorrhoeae: two doses of 500mg each at interval of 8–12 hours. Meningitis: Initiate with IV drip, then continue IM. 150–200mg/kg per day in equally divided doses every 3–4 hours. Septicimia: Initiate IV for at least 3 days, then continue IM every 3–4 hours. 150–200mg/kg per day; treat for at least 10 days if caused by Group A β-hemolytic streptococci.
Cephalosporin, imipenem, other allergy or mononucleosis: not recommended. Monitor blood, renal, and liver function in long-term use. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
May cause false (+) glucose test with Clinitest, Benedict's or Fehling's soln. Potentiated by probenecid. May increase risk of rash with allopurinol.
Anaphylaxis, urticaria, GI upset, blood dyscrasias.
Formerly known under the brand names Principen, Totacillin, Pfizerpen-A, Penbritin, Omnipen, Amcill (caps, susp); Polycillin-N, Totacillin-N, Penbritin-S, Omnipen-N (inj).
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Infectious Disease Advisor Articles
- Antibiotic Use in Neonatal Settings in Need of Improvement
- Whole Genome Sequencing Use in Predicting TB Resistance
- Rapid Antimicrobial Susceptibility Testing on Urine Directly Accelerates Results
- Antibiotics May Be Beneficial in Children With Prolonged Wet Cough
- Emergency Department Overcrowding Associated With Delayed Antibiotics in Patients With Sepsis
- Interferon Alfa May Decrease the Incidence of Chronic HCV Infection
- Predicative Factors for Relapse in Adult Bacterial Osteomyelitis
- Supply Updates Announced for Recombivax HBV Vaccines
- Point-of-Care Testing Methods Compared for Influenza Detection
- Success With DAA for Hepatitis C Prior to Stem Cell Transplant