For patients with Escherichia coli or Klebsiella pneumoniae bloodstream infections and ceftriaxone resistance, treatment with piperacillin-tazobactam compared with meropenem did not result in a non-inferior 30-day mortality.
A documented β -lactam allergy was found in more than one-third of patients receiving broad-spectrum antibiotics, however, only 10% of patients were found to be truly allergic.
The study included 530 patients, aged 18 to 60 years, with computed tomography-confirmed uncomplicated acute appendicitis.
Many antibiotic adverse drug events led to emergency department visits, particularly among young children, highlighting a need for better communication regarding the risks of overprescribing.
As infections from drug-resistant microbes continue to rise, the development of new antibiotics has declined since the golden age of antibiotic discovery in the mid-20th century.
Antibiotic use rates in neonatal intensive care units are declining.
Neil Clancy, MD, from the VA Pittsburgh Health Care System, shares highlights from ASM Microbe 2018.
Changing to oral antibiotics was non-inferior to continued intravenous antibiotic treatment
Alternative antibiotics with a lower ecological impact were suggested for 55.2% of relevant ceftriaxone prescriptions in a university hospital emergency department setting during 2016.
The Committee's recommendation was based on data from the omadacycline global development program that included nearly 2000 adults in three Phase 3 studies.
Treating outpatients with continuous infusions of flucloxacillin, cefepime, vancomycin, and piperacillin/tazobactam using elastomeric pumps was effective and safe.
There is considerable variability in the proportion of visits at which antibiotics are prescribed among traditional medical and retail clinic settings.
The labeling changes are based on a review of postmarketing adverse event reports found in the FDA Adverse Event Reporting System (FAERS) database and published medical literature.
Between 1999 and 2012, Acinetobacter baumannii antibiotic resistance increased in children.
A review summarizes outpatient prescription practices and identifies factors that may influence physician prescribing behaviors.
The new WHO guidelines restricts antibiotic use in animals for purposes of growth promotion as well as avoidance of use for disease prevention.
Experts discuss antibiotic classes in development, which agents holds the most promise, and how to prevent further resistance.
Researchers conducted a systemic review and meta-analysis to determine which antibiotics for systemic use were associated with the lowest risk of C difficile infection.
Inappropriate prescribing of antibiotics is a contributing factor in antibiotic resistance.
Repeated intravenous administration of penicillin antibiotics appears to be safe in patients with a reported penicillin allergy and a negative penicillin allergy test.
Lower microbial diversity in the respiratory tract was linked with prophylactic antibiotic use and less airway inflammation in cystic fibrosis.
Hospira is voluntarily recalling one lot of Vancomycin Hydrochloride for Injection after a confirmed customer reported of glass within a single vial.
New data finds Vabomere, a combination antibiotic for the treatment of CRE infections as best available treatment.
Ceftin Oral Suspension, an antibiotic, has been discontinued.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Infectious Disease Advisor Articles
- Homeopathy No Better Than Placebo for Respiratory Infections in Children
- CDC Director Says Congo Ebola Outbreak May Be Uncontainable
- CDC Updates Recommendations for Hepatitis A Vaccination for International Travel
- Long-Term HIV Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis May Induce Significant Microbiome Shifts
- 10th Child Dies in Adenovirus Outbreak at NJ Facility
- Oral Urinary Tract Infection Treatments
- Treating Pseudomonas aeruginosa Infections: Highlights From IDWeek 2018
- Local Gentamicin Application Ineffective in Treatment of Periprosthetic Joint Infection
- High-Dose Influenza Vaccination May Benefit Transplant Recipients
- Social Medicine: The Effect of Social Media on the Anti-Vaccine Movement
- GERD Diagnosis and Management Guidelines
- Improved Care Needed for People With HIV in Prison and After Release
- Novel Point of Care Respiratory Viral Testing Service Shows Potential
- A New Nucleotide Analog Is Well Tolerated, Efficacious Against HCV Genotype 1-4
- Many Linens Delivered To US Hospitals Contaminated With Mucorales Mold