Antibiotics, Antimicrobial Resistance
As infections from drug-resistant microbes continue to rise, the development of new antibiotics has declined since the golden age of antibiotic discovery in the mid-20th century.
The 68-year-old patient reported having a fever for 1 week followed by progressive, painful swelling on the right side of his neck for 2 months.
Daily prophylaxis with TMP-SMX was not associated with change in risk for skin and soft tissue or sino-pulmonary infections, or pharyngitis in children.
For infants with uncomplicated, late-onset GBS bacteremia, a shortened IV course of antibiotic therapy is sometimes prescribed and is associated with low rates of disease recurrence and treatment failure.
The inappropriate use of antibiotics as prophylaxis and treatment in acute pancreatitis is common, highlighting the efforts required for antibiotic stewardship.
In acute ischemic or hemorrhagic stroke, prophylactic antibiotics reduce the overall infection rate, but do not reduce the risk for pneumonia, death, or dependency.
Treatment with intravenous and oral delafloxacin, a fluoroquinolone antibiotic with gram-negative and gram-positive activity, was comparable to vancomycin/aztreonam in improving clinical signs and symptoms in acute bacterial and skin structure infections.
Antipseudomonal combination therapy has shown poorer efficacy than antipseudomonal monotherapy in individuals with suspected pseudomonal pneumonia.
No significant differences in clinical cure rates were observed between short-course and prolonged-course antimicrobial therapy in patients with intraabdominal infections.
The approval was based on Phase 3 data from 2 studies in ABSSSI, where treatment with Nuzyra was compared with linezolid, and 1 study in CABP comparing Nuzyra with moxifloxacin. Across all 3 trials, Nuzyra was found to be effective and generally safe and well-tolerated.
In patients taking multiple antibiotics, proton pump inhibitors, or histamine receptor antagonists, the concurrent use of probiotics was associated with an increased incidence of Clostridium difficile infection
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Infectious Disease Advisor Articles
- The Misuse of Antibiotics in Acute Pancreatitis Appears Widespread
- ART Reduces Neurocognitive Impairment in Patients Living With HIV
- Tackling the Challenges Associated With Treating Hepatitis C Infection in Pediatric Patients
- Mental Health Problems in Adolescents With HIV: Overview & Expert Interview
- Severity of Acute Respiratory Infections in Children Affected by Viral Etiology
- Antibiotic Prophylaxis Before Dental Procedures May Be Unnecessary
- Penicillin Allergies: Commonly Reported but Rarely Accurate
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome Treatments
- Oral Ciprofloxacin Effective in Treatment for Bacteremia
- Need for Adequate Screening for Infants With HCV Infected Mothers During Pregnancy
- Patient Develops Glandular Tularemia After Taking Care of Sick Cat
- Internet-Based Intervention Can Reduce Depression in People Living With HIV
- Prophylaxis With TMP-SMX Did Not Alter Risk for Non-UTI Infections
- Low Recurrence With Shortened IV Abx Course in GBS Bacteremia
- Renal-Replacement Timing Has No Effect in Kidney Injury, Sepsis