Generic Name and Formulations:
Captopril, hydrochlorothiazide; 25mg/15mg, 25mg/25mg, 50mg/15mg, 50mg/25mg; scored tabs.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Captopril/Hydrochlorothiazide:
Take 1 hr before meals. As initial therapy: one 25/15 tab daily; adjust at 6 wk intervals. Previously titrated: use same doses as individual components. Usual max 150mg captopril, 50mg hydrochlorothiazide daily.
See full labeling.
Anuria. Sulfonamide allergy. History of ACEI-associated angioedema.
Fetal toxicity may develop: discontinue if pregnancy is detected. Renal or hepatic dysfunction. Salt/volume depletion. CHF. Dialysis (esp. high-flux membrane). Aortic stenosis. Diabetes. Gout. Asthma. Postsympathectomy. Surgery. Monitor electrolytes. Monitor WBCs and renal function in renal and collagen vascular disease. Discontinue if neutropenia, agranulocytosis, angioedema or laryngeal edema occurs. Pregnancy (Cat.D in 2nd and 3rd trimesters). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
ACE inhibitor + diuretic.
Potentiated by antihypertensives. Potentiates tubocurarine. May antagonize sulfonylureas, oral anticoagulants, uricosurics. May be antagonized by NSAIDs, sympathomimetics. May increase digitalis, lithium, insulin, diazoxide toxicity. Hyperkalemia with potassium-sparing diuretics and supplements. Hypokalemia with ACTH, corticosteroids. Orthostatic hypotension may be increased by alcohol, CNS depressants. May interfere with parathyroid, urinary acetone tests.
Neutropenia, agranulocytosis, proteinuria, nephrotic syndrome, orthostatic hypotension, fluid or electrolyte imbalance, rash, GI upset, dysgeusia, hyperglycemia, hyperuricemia, dizziness, headache, cough, pruritus, angioedema, tachycardia, chest pain, jaundice, blurred vision.
Formerly known under the brand name Capozide.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Infectious Disease Advisor Articles
- Antibiotic Use in Neonatal Settings in Need of Improvement
- Whole Genome Sequencing Use in Predicting TB Resistance
- Rapid Antimicrobial Susceptibility Testing on Urine Directly Accelerates Results
- Antibiotics May Be Beneficial in Children With Prolonged Wet Cough
- Emergency Department Overcrowding Associated With Delayed Antibiotics in Patients With Sepsis
- Interferon Alfa May Decrease the Incidence of Chronic HCV Infection
- Predicative Factors for Relapse in Adult Bacterial Osteomyelitis
- Supply Updates Announced for Recombivax HBV Vaccines
- Point-of-Care Testing Methods Compared for Influenza Detection
- Success With DAA for Hepatitis C Prior to Stem Cell Transplant