Generic Name and Formulations:
Fluorouracil 0.5% (0.35% in microspheres); crm.
Bausch Health Companies Inc.
Indications for CARAC:
Multiple actinic or solar keratoses of the face and anterior scalp.
≥18yrs: Wash and dry area. Wait 10 minutes. Apply thin film to skin where lesions appear once daily for up to 4 weeks. Do not occlude. May apply sunscreen/ moisturizer 2 hours later. Wash hands after use.
<18yrs: not recommended.
Dihydropyrimidine dehydrogenase (DPD) deficiency. Women of childbearing potential. Pregnancy (Cat.X).
Discontinue if symptoms of DPD deficiency develop (e.g., abdominal pain, bloody diarrhea, vomiting, fever, chills). Ulcerated or inflamed skin. Avoid eyes, mucous membranes, exposure to sun or UV light. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Application site reaction (may persist 2 weeks after drug is stopped), eye irritation.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Infectious Disease Advisor Articles
- Antibiotic Use in Neonatal Settings in Need of Improvement
- Whole Genome Sequencing Use in Predicting TB Resistance
- Rapid Antimicrobial Susceptibility Testing on Urine Directly Accelerates Results
- Antibiotics May Be Beneficial in Children With Prolonged Wet Cough
- Emergency Department Overcrowding Associated With Delayed Antibiotics in Patients With Sepsis
- Interferon Alfa May Decrease the Incidence of Chronic HCV Infection
- Predicative Factors for Relapse in Adult Bacterial Osteomyelitis
- Supply Updates Announced for Recombivax HBV Vaccines
- Point-of-Care Testing Methods Compared for Influenza Detection
- Success With DAA for Hepatitis C Prior to Stem Cell Transplant