With the advent of platform manufacturing technology, vaccines can be developed quickly to stop the spread of outbreaks.
There is currently a global outbreak of disseminated Mycobacterium chimaera related to the widely used surgical device LivaNova 3T heater-cooler unit contamination.
A 10th child has died in an adenovirus outbreak at the Wanaque Center for Nursing and Rehabilitation in Haskell, NJ.
Two Phase 3 trials conducted in Asia and Latin America assessed the efficacy of the vaccine in >35,000 individuals aged 2 to 16 years.
A recent report published in the Journal of Pharmacy Practice describes the case of a 75-year-old female patient who developed acquired hemophilia following levofloxacin administration.
Greater nationwide awareness of the fungal infection Valley fever is needed.
There have been 12 reported cases of people in the United States becoming sick after eating fresh crab meat from Venezuela.
Infectious disease experts from Emory University School of Medicine recommend that patients contemplating travel to Zika-affected areas consult with their care providers regarding travel plans and potential Zika virus testing.
High rates of Salmonella contamination have been identified in kratom products collected and tested since February 2018.
A vaccine against Zika virus, once available and effectively deployed, may substantially reduce prenatal infections.
Kratom, the controversial plant used by some as an opioid substitute, is at the center of a multistate Salmonella outbreak, prompting the CDC to issue a recommendation against the consumption of kratom in any form.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Infectious Disease Advisor Articles
- Isavuconazole Not Noninferior to Caspofungin for Invasive Candida Infections
- Dundee Severity Classification Improves Management of Patients With Cellulitis
- Three New Ebola Vaccines Demonstrate Persistent Immune Response
- Pregnant Women Commonly Refuse Vaccines
- Tap Water in Neti Pot Linked to Death From Brain-Eating Amoeba
- Prenatal Malaria Exposure Modulates Innate Immune Responses at Birth
- Best Approach to Reduce Surgical Site Infections Before Colorectal Surgery
- A Single Triple-Drug Treatment for Lymphatic Filariasis
- Cyclosporiasis Cases Markedly Higher in 2018 Than Previous 2 Years
- Mail-Based HPV Testing May Increase Access