An imbalance in gut microbiota may be associated with the progression of Parkinson's disease.
While the health-related burden of rheumatic heart disease has declined worldwide, but high rates of disease persist in some of the poorest regions in the world.
Multidrug-resistant gram-negative bacteria can be found in more than 1-quarter of nursing-home residents.
Microbleeds in the brain that lead to stroke and cognitive impairment may be tied to Streptococcus mutans.
Patients with rheumatoid arthritis are often not appropriately vaccinated against herpes zoster, despite vaccine recommendations.
Rates of herpes zoster vaccination coverage vary significantly on national and state-by-state levels.
Patients 67 years and older were more likely to be affected by group B streptococci or group C and G streptococci strains.
Individuals with periodontitis have a higher risk of developing dementia than those without.
Nearly 14,000 adults age 70 and older received either 2 doses of the experimental HZ/su vaccine or a placebo.
Pain caused by HZ has a large impact on quality of life.
Efficacy decreased from 68.7% to 4.2%.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Infectious Disease Advisor Articles
- Generic HIV Medicines: Boon or Bust?
- Insulin-Treated Diabetes Reduces Dysglycemia-Related Mortality in Sepsis
- It Costs $2.2 Billion a Year to Treat Antibiotic Resistance
- Pregnancy May Be Independently Associated With Prolonged Detection of Zika Virus RNA
- Tricyclic Antidepressants May Reduce Cirrhosis Risk in Hepatitis C
- Clostridium difficile Infection in the Intensive Care Setting
- Combating Medically Important Antibiotic Use in Food-Producing Animals
- Religious Exemptions vs Mandatory Vaccinations: An Expert Perspective
- 2018 Vaccination Schedule: Adults
- Fingerstick Point-of-Care Test Allows for Single-Visit HCV Diagnoses
- Glecaprevir/Pibrentasvir Highly Efficacious for HCV/HIV Coinfection
- Fluoroquinolone Use May Increase Risk for Aortic Aneurysm and Dissection
- Reduced Risk of Hepatocellular Carcinoma in DAA-Treated HCV Infection
- Paracetamol Overuse During Cold and Flu Season
- C difficile Risk Higher With Stoma Reversal vs Colectomy