A Salmonella outbreak that's sickened 21 people in five states has been linked to Hy-Vee Spring Pasta Salad.
Health officials say they found Escherichia coli in water at a ziplining facility in Tennessee that has been linked to an outbreak affecting at least 500 people.
A study was conducted to evaluate the oxazolidinone resistance mechanisms of enterococci bacteria.
Tainted irrigation water is likely to blame for a 36-state Escherichia coli outbreak linked to romaine lettuce that sickened 200 people and caused five deaths.
The CDC has identified an increasing number of Shigella isolates that test within the susceptible range for the fluoroquinolone antibiotic ciprofloxacin.
Clinicians debate whether metronidazole should be used as front-line treatment for mild CDI in patients with low risk for complications.
Illnesses reported in Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Michigan, Missouri, Ohio, and Tennessee
ACX-362E is a targeted, narrow spectrum oral antibiotic that blocks the DNA replication process through inhibition of polymerase III, which has been shown to be bactericidal.
The Kellogg Company has announced it is recalling certain boxes of Honey Smacks cereal due to the possibility of contamination with Salmonella
The risk of intussusception within 1 to 7 days and 8 to 21 days after rotavirus vaccination was assessed in infants age 28 to 245 days.
31 people have been hospitalized; no deaths reported to date
CDC reports this spring's outbreak of Escherichia coli illness tied to tainted Arizona romaine lettuce is likely over.
Given the impact of postoperative Clostridium difficile infection, a heightened sense of suspicion should be given to symptomatic patients after stoma reversal.
It is important to understand the relative severity of CDI in patients in the ICU because it effects treatment decisions. However, primary prevention remains a vitally important strategy to limit morbidity and mortality related to CDI in this vulnerable patient population.
The agency took this action after Triangle Pharmanaturals LLC failed to cooperate with the FDA's request to conduct a voluntary recall.
There were declines in mortality from most categories of infectious diseases, with large differences among US counties. However, over this time there was an increase in mortality for diarrheal diseases.
FIRVANQ is commercially available in 25 and 50 mg/mL strengths in convenient 150 mL and 300 mL sizes.
Helicobacter pylori treatment is associated with a reduced rate of metachronous gastric cancer.
Recurrent Salmonella enterica Typhimurium infection disables host protection against intestinal inflammation [PreClinical]February 04, 2018
Increased turnover of intestinal alkaline phosphatase (IAP), related to increased endogenous neuraminidase activity among duodenal enterocytes, was found to be associated with inflammatory bowel disease.
Vancomycin is the first liquid oral treatment for C diff-associated diarrhea.
Study aimed to clarify the prevalence of gallbladder diseases, and factors related to gallbladder diseases, and relationships between H pylori infection, gallstones, cholecystitis, and cholecystic polypus.
Study found that many hospitalized infants did not receive rotavirus vaccination before discharge and were no longer age-eligible for vaccination after discharge from the hospital.
Raw flour has been linked to E coli infections in 24 states.
The Infectious Diseases Society of America updated its guidelines for the management of acute or persistent infectious diarrhea.
Refractory Helicobacter pylori infection can be successfully treated with goshuyuto and rabeprazole.
In recent years, a link between childhood Helicobacter pylori and gastric cancer in adulthood has elevated the need to detect and treat H pylori in asymptomatic children.
Bezlotoxumab, given with antibacterials for Clostridium difficile, could be effective as a preventive treatment for C difficile infection.
Implementation of rotavirus vaccination correlated with a reduction in acute gastroenteritis related hospitalization rates among children.
The CDC Health Alert Network has issued an advisory regarding an increase in cases of the intestinal illness cyclosporiasis.
Experts review biotherapeutics for the prevention of C difficile infection, including probiotics, fecal microbiota transplantation, and nontoxigenic C difficile.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Infectious Disease Advisor Articles
- Clinicians Warn That Zika Virus May Still Be an Area of Concern for Travelers
- Fixed-Dose Bictegravir, Emtricitabine, Tenofovir Alafenamide Is Efficacious HIV-1 Treatment Option
- Ceftazidime/Avibactam an Effective Option in Serious Gram-Negative Infections
- Effect of Dengue Serostatus on Dengue Vaccine Safety and Efficacy
- Inappropriate Prescribing of Antibiotics High in Urgent Care Centers
- Universal Purchase Programs in the United States May Not Effectively Increase Vaccination Rates
- Tick-Caused Meat Allergy on the Rise in the United States
- Delays in Lactate Testing Associated With Delayed Antibiotics, Increased Mortality in Sepsis
- Prognostic Biomarkers to Guide Antibiotic Therapy in Critically Ill Patients
- Sofosbuvir/Velpatavir Effective for HCV-Infected Liver Transplant Recipients
- Pegylated Interferon, Ribavirin May Improve LV Diastolic Dysfunction in Chronic Hepatitis C
- Automated HIV/Hepatitis C Screening Protocol Demonstrates High Efficacy
- Factors Increasing Risk for Hemorrhagic Stroke After Infective Endocarditis
- Salmonella Outbreak Linked to Hy-Vee Spring Pasta Salad
- Harms Reporting Limited in Trials of Prebiotics, Probiotics, Synbiotics