HUMULIN N OTC
Generic Name and Formulations:
Insulin isophane suspension (NPH) (human, rDNA origin) 100 Units/mL; inj.
Lilly, Eli and Company
Indications for HUMULIN N:
Adults and Children:
SC injection only. Onset approx 1–2hrs, peak 6–12hrs, duration 18–24hrs.
Instruct patients on diet, exercise, blood or urine testing, proper administration of insulin, change in species of origin, type or purity of insulin, and management of hypoglycemia. Do not reuse or share pens, needles, or syringes between patients. Dosage increase may be required during infection, illness, stress, trauma, and pregnancy. Dosage decrease may be needed with renal or hepatic dysfunction.
Concomitant thiazolidinediones (TZDs) may cause fluid retention and heart failure; consider dose reduction or discontinue TZDs. Potentiated by oral antidiabetic agents, pramlintide, ACE inhibitors, disopyramide, fibrates, fluoxetine, MAOIs, propoxyphene, salicylates, somatostatin analog, sulfonamide antibiotics. Antagonized by corticosteroids, isoniazid, niacin, danazol, diuretics, thiazides, phenothiazines, sympathomimetics, somatropin, thyroid hormones, estrogens, progestogens, atypical antipsychotics. Variable effects with β-blockers, clonidine, lithium salts, alcohol, pentamidine. Onset may be delayed if regular insulin is mixed with zinc insulin. Regular and NPH insulins may be mixed and used immediately or stored for future use.
Hypoglycemia, hypokalemia, local or systemic allergy, lipodystrophy, edema.
Vials 70/30, N, R (U-100)—10mL; R (U-500)—20mL; KwikPen (70/30, N)—5x3mL; R (U-500)—2x3mL, 5x3mL
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Infectious Disease Advisor Articles
- Improving the Care of Aging Adults Living With HIV
- Infection Prevention Differs Between Small, Large Hospitals
- International Antiviral Society-USA Updates Recommendations for HIV Treatment and Prevention
- Previous Missed Appointments Predict Likelihood of Trend in Patients With HIV
- FDA Warns Against Long-Term Azithromycin Use for Some
- Identifying the Source of C difficile in Hospitalized Patients
- Antibiotics Often Unnecessary for Sacral Pressure Ulcers Complicated by Osteomyelitis
- Sensitivity and Specificity of 7 Treponemal Tests for Syphilis Diagnosis
- Automated EHR Algorithm More Effective Than Nurse-Driven Protocol for HCV, HIV Screening
- A Pan-Tuberculosis Regimen: The Debate Continues
- HCV Eradication in HIV/HCV-Coinfection Decreases Immune Activation
- Tolerability of Switching to Long-acting Cabotegravir Plus Rilpivirine From Current HIV-1 Regimen
- Time to Blood Culture Positivity Predictive of Mortality in S Aureus Infective Endocarditis
- C difficile Tied to Increased Graft Loss in Solid Organ Recipients
- Neurodevelopmental Anomalies, Birth Defects Linked to Zika ID'd