A 3-part strategy was announced to combat the hepatitis A outbreak in San Diego, California.
A multifaceted hand hygiene intervention may have a short-term effect on mortality in nursing homes. Nevertheless, other strategies may remain necessary to reduce morbidity.
Researchers found that patients were willing to remind health care professionals, especially nurses, to wash their hands.
Cases of Legionnaires' disease in New York City and Las Vegas are being investigated by health officials.
Time matters more than water temperature for effective hand washing.
Bi-directional mechanisms linking periodontal disease to the development of rheumatoid arthritis may offer biomarkers for the development of RA and treatment objectives that influence the courses of both inflammatory conditions.
Offering hand sanitizer to the patient and clinician at the same time, deemed "co-washing," is a simple intervention that can be implemented in almost any practice and possibly reduce infection rates.
Nosocomial legionellosis as a result of heat exchangers installed in a hospital in Sherbrooke, Canada.
The ruling applies to consumer products containing 1 or more of 19 specific active ingredients.
The report, which included information on 1,075 contact lens-related infections that were reported to a Food and Drug Administration database, noted that 1 in 5 contact lens related infections often led to more serious eye complications.
The request is part of the FDA's larger, ongoing review of OTC antiseptic active ingredients to ensure these ingredients are safe and effective.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Infectious Disease Advisor Articles
- Generic HIV Medicines: Boon or Bust?
- Insulin-Treated Diabetes Reduces Dysglycemia-Related Mortality in Sepsis
- It Costs $2.2 Billion a Year to Treat Antibiotic Resistance
- Pregnancy May Be Independently Associated With Prolonged Detection of Zika Virus RNA
- Tricyclic Antidepressants May Reduce Cirrhosis Risk in Hepatitis C
- Clostridium difficile Infection in the Intensive Care Setting
- Combating Medically Important Antibiotic Use in Food-Producing Animals
- Religious Exemptions vs Mandatory Vaccinations: An Expert Perspective
- 2018 Vaccination Schedule: Adults
- Fingerstick Point-of-Care Test Allows for Single-Visit HCV Diagnoses
- Glecaprevir/Pibrentasvir Highly Efficacious for HCV/HIV Coinfection
- Fluoroquinolone Use May Increase Risk for Aortic Aneurysm and Dissection
- Reduced Risk of Hepatocellular Carcinoma in DAA-Treated HCV Infection
- Paracetamol Overuse During Cold and Flu Season
- C difficile Risk Higher With Stoma Reversal vs Colectomy