Although substantial emphasis is placed on vaccinations in considering how to limit the spread of influenza, simple hygienic methods have been found to be the most effective and should be more widely supported.
Among children there was an increased risk for acute respiratory illness caused by noninfluenza respiratory pathogens following influenza vaccination compared to unvaccinated children during the same period.
Discontinuing methotrexate for 2 weeks following flu vaccine may improve the immunogenicity of the vaccine in patients with rheumatoid arthritis.
Researchers compared the safety and immunogenicity of the quadrivalent, recombinant influenza vaccine vs the inactivated influenza vaccine in children and adolescents 6 to 17 years of age.
Higher serum bactericidal activity following immunization with PRP-CRM197 reflected superior short-term and long-term seroprotective effects compared with immunization with PRP-T.
A meta-analysis sought to determine the effect of influenza vaccination on cardiac-related mortality in patients with heart failure.
New study finds an increase in acetaminophen use and overdosing during cold and flu season.
Further research on rapid tests is warranted, as industry-sponsored research tends to favor the industry's product and affects how physicians practice medicine.
Use of oseltamivir does not appear to increase the risk of suicide in pediatric patients.
Treatment with statin medications around the time of influenza vaccination does not significantly affect influenza risk in older adults.
In protecting senior Veterans Health Administration patients against influenza- or pneumonia-associated hospitalization, high-dose influenza vaccine was more effective than standard-dose vaccine.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Infectious Disease Advisor Articles
- Generic HIV Medicines: Boon or Bust?
- Insulin-Treated Diabetes Reduces Dysglycemia-Related Mortality in Sepsis
- It Costs $2.2 Billion a Year to Treat Antibiotic Resistance
- Pregnancy May Be Independently Associated With Prolonged Detection of Zika Virus RNA
- Tricyclic Antidepressants May Reduce Cirrhosis Risk in Hepatitis C
- Clostridium difficile Infection in the Intensive Care Setting
- Combating Medically Important Antibiotic Use in Food-Producing Animals
- Religious Exemptions vs Mandatory Vaccinations: An Expert Perspective
- 2018 Vaccination Schedule: Adults
- Fingerstick Point-of-Care Test Allows for Single-Visit HCV Diagnoses
- Glecaprevir/Pibrentasvir Highly Efficacious for HCV/HIV Coinfection
- Fluoroquinolone Use May Increase Risk for Aortic Aneurysm and Dissection
- Reduced Risk of Hepatocellular Carcinoma in DAA-Treated HCV Infection
- Paracetamol Overuse During Cold and Flu Season
- C difficile Risk Higher With Stoma Reversal vs Colectomy