Generic Name and Formulations:
Timolol (as maleate) 0.5%; oph soln; contains benzalkonium chloride.
Bausch & Lomb Inc.
Indications for ISTALOL:
Open-angle glaucoma. Ocular hypertension.
1 drop in affected eye(s) once daily in the AM.
Greater than 1st-degree AV block. Overt cardiac failure. Cardiogenic shock. Sinus bradycardia. Bronchial asthma. Severe COPD. History of bronchospasm. Not for use as a sole agent in angle-closure glaucoma.
History of cardiac failure. Discontinue at 1st sign of cardiac failure, and before surgery. Avoid abrupt cessation. Diabetes. May mask hypoglycemia, thyrotoxicosis. Myasthenia gravis. Cerebrovascular insufficiency. Contact lenses (remove; may reinsert 15 min after instillation). Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Avoid other topical β-blockers. May potentiate systemic β-blockers, reserpine, hypoglycemics, and mydriatic effect of topical epinephrine. May be potentiated by quinidine. May cause conduction defects with digoxin, calcium channel blockers (avoid concomitant use in impaired cardiac function).
Local irritation (burning, stinging), blurred vision, cataract, conjunctival injection, infection, headache, hypertension, itching. Systemic β-blocker effects (eg, bronchospasm, bradycardia, cardiac failure, muscle weakness).
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Infectious Disease Advisor Articles
- Antibiotic Use in Neonatal Settings in Need of Improvement
- Whole Genome Sequencing Use in Predicting TB Resistance
- Rapid Antimicrobial Susceptibility Testing on Urine Directly Accelerates Results
- Antibiotics May Be Beneficial in Children With Prolonged Wet Cough
- Emergency Department Overcrowding Associated With Delayed Antibiotics in Patients With Sepsis
- Success With DAA for Hepatitis C Prior to Stem Cell Transplant
- Shorter Antibiotic Course Noninferior for Gram-Negative Bacteremia
- Dolutegravir Plus Lamivudine Promising for HIV Maintenance Therapy
- Trial Results Affected by Heterogeneous CAP Inclusion Criteria
- Screening Blood Donations Mitigates Transfusion-Transmitted Babesiosis Risk