L-Cysteine HCl Injection Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
L-Cysteine HCl 50mg/mL; soln for IV infusion after dilution; contains aluminum, sulfur; preservative-free.
Indications for L-Cysteine HCl Injection:
An additive to crystalline amino acid injections to meet essential nutritional requirements for infants given TPNs.
See literature. Rotate inj site. Give by central venous infusion. Add 0.5g L-Cysteine with 12.5g crystalline amino acid injection; dilute as indicated.
Hepatic coma. Metabolic disorders (eg, impaired nitrogen utilization).
Hepatic, renal, pulmonary, or cardiac insufficiency. Hyperkalemia. Metabolic or respiratory alkalosis. Monitor hepatic and renal function; discontinue if BUN levels exceed normal postprandial limits and continue to rise. Monitor blood (eg, CBC, ammonia, glucose, electrolytes, cholesterol, acid-base balance, serum proteins, osmolarity), urine osmolarity and glucose during therapy. Premature neonates. Pregnancy.
Concomitant tetracycline reduces nitrogen sparing effects.
Local reactions (eg, warm sensation, erythema, phlebitis, thrombosis), flushing, fever, nausea.
Single-dose vials (10mL)—10
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Infectious Disease Advisor Articles
- Improving the Care of Aging Adults Living With HIV
- Infection Prevention Differs Between Small, Large Hospitals
- International Antiviral Society-USA Updates Recommendations for HIV Treatment and Prevention
- Previous Missed Appointments Predict Likelihood of Trend in Patients With HIV
- FDA Warns Against Long-Term Azithromycin Use for Some
- Identifying the Source of C difficile in Hospitalized Patients
- Antibiotics Often Unnecessary for Sacral Pressure Ulcers Complicated by Osteomyelitis
- Sensitivity and Specificity of 7 Treponemal Tests for Syphilis Diagnosis
- Automated EHR Algorithm More Effective Than Nurse-Driven Protocol for HCV, HIV Screening
- A Pan-Tuberculosis Regimen: The Debate Continues
- HCV Eradication in HIV/HCV-Coinfection Decreases Immune Activation
- Tolerability of Switching to Long-acting Cabotegravir Plus Rilpivirine From Current HIV-1 Regimen
- Time to Blood Culture Positivity Predictive of Mortality in S Aureus Infective Endocarditis
- C difficile Tied to Increased Graft Loss in Solid Organ Recipients
- Neurodevelopmental Anomalies, Birth Defects Linked to Zika ID'd