Altered Urinary pH
Respiratory or metabolic acidosis
Respiratory or metabolic alkalosis Defect in renal tubular secretion and reabsorption
Don't Miss - Dangerous Situations
Severe acidosis or alkalosis could result in a lethal outcome in the short term and should be addressed immediately.
Commonly Encountered Situations
There are many causes of acidosis and alkalosis with altered urinary pH.
Suggested Additional Lab Testing
Blood gas testing is valuable in the assessment of respiratory or metabolic acidosis or alkalosis.
Serum or plasma BUN or creatinine for initial assessment of renal function should be ordered.
Copyright © 2017, 2013 Decision Support in Medicine, LLC. All rights reserved.
No sponsor or advertiser has participated in, approved or paid for the content provided by Decision Support in Medicine LLC. The Licensed Content is the property of and copyrighted by DSM.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Infectious Disease Advisor Articles
- CDC Probe Continues as Cases of Acute Flaccid Myelitis Rise
- Many Linens Delivered To US Hospitals Contaminated With Mucorales Mold
- Oral Urinary Tract Infection Treatments
- Treating Pseudomonas aeruginosa Infections: Highlights From IDWeek 2018
- Local Gentamicin Application Ineffective in Treatment of Periprosthetic Joint Infection
- 11th Child Dies in Adenovirus Outbreak at N.J. Care Facility
- CDC: Increase Seen in Salmonella Illnesses From Ground Beef
- Hepatocellular Carcinoma Risk Following Antiviral Therapy for HCV Examined
- Does Obesity Impact Virological Response in HCV Patients on DAA Therapy?
- Direct-Acting Antiviral Therapy Uptake Examined Among HCV Patients