Anterior Pituitary, Prolactin Deficiency
At a Glance
Prolactin deficiency is extremely rare and is typically encountered only after the anterior pituitary gland is destroyed by infarction. The inability to lactate after delivery of an infant is the only known presentation of prolactin deficiency.
What Tests Should I Request to Confirm My Clinical Dx? In addition, what follow-up tests might be useful?
Testing for prolactin deficiency is not clinically useful, because the primary function of prolactin is its role in lactogenesis and there is no treatment for women who cannot lactate due to pituitary hypofunction. There are also no standardized methods of evaluating prolactin reserve.
Copyright © 2017, 2013 Decision Support in Medicine, LLC. All rights reserved.
No sponsor or advertiser has participated in, approved or paid for the content provided by Decision Support in Medicine LLC. The Licensed Content is the property of and copyrighted by DSM.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Infectious Disease Advisor Articles
- Women, HIV, and the Criminal Justice System: Prison Health Is Public Health
- CDC Report on Recommendation Adherence in Uncomplicated Gonorrhea Treatment
- PD-1 Inhibitors Safe, Effective in Patients With HIV and Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer
- HSV-1 and HSV-2 Seroprevalence Among Pregnant Women in the United States
- Burkholderia cepacia Outbreak Tied to No-Rinse Cleansing Foam
- Infections Complicating the Use of Monoclonal Antibodies for Malignancy
- How Important Is the Timing of Antibiotics for Surviving Sepsis?
- Curbing Overuse of Blood Cultures in the Emergency Department
- The 'Attitude Roots' Underlying Antivaccination Beliefs
- Why Treating Major Depressive Disorder Improves Outcomes in HIV
- FDA: Possible Risk of Neural Tube Birth Defects With Certain Antiretroviral Agents
- Increasing Incidence of Syphilis in People With HIV
- Synovial Fluid Cell Counts Do Not Accurately Differentiate Arthritis Types
- Truvada Approved for HIV-1 Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis in At-Risk Adolescents
- Real-Life Renal Outcomes With Sofosbuvir in Chronic Hepatitis C