Elevated Serum Amylase and/or Serum Lipase
Pancreatic carcinoma is associated with a very short life span following diagnosis.
Commonly Encountered Situations
Acute pancreatitis is the most common of the disorders listed.
Suggested Additional Lab Testing
Tests to assess alcohol intake and triglyceride levels are useful.
Most common causes include alcohol abuse and gallstones.
Less common causes include hypertriglyceridemia, infections, and trauma to pancreas.
Bentiromide test is a noninvasive test to assess pancreatic function in chronic pancreatitis, based on the hydrolysis by chymotrypsin of an orally administered synthetic peptide.
CA 19-9 may be useful to monitor response to therapy in patients with pancreatic cancer, but it is not specific to pancreatic cancer.
Copyright © 2017, 2013 Decision Support in Medicine, LLC. All rights reserved.
No sponsor or advertiser has participated in, approved or paid for the content provided by Decision Support in Medicine LLC. The Licensed Content is the property of and copyrighted by DSM.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Infectious Disease Advisor Articles
- Women, HIV, and the Criminal Justice System: Prison Health Is Public Health
- CDC Report on Recommendation Adherence in Uncomplicated Gonorrhea Treatment
- PD-1 Inhibitors Safe, Effective in Patients With HIV and Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer
- HSV-1 and HSV-2 Seroprevalence Among Pregnant Women in the United States
- Burkholderia cepacia Outbreak Tied to No-Rinse Cleansing Foam
- Infections Complicating the Use of Monoclonal Antibodies for Malignancy
- How Important Is the Timing of Antibiotics for Surviving Sepsis?
- Curbing Overuse of Blood Cultures in the Emergency Department
- The 'Attitude Roots' Underlying Antivaccination Beliefs
- Why Treating Major Depressive Disorder Improves Outcomes in HIV
- FDA: Possible Risk of Neural Tube Birth Defects With Certain Antiretroviral Agents
- Increasing Incidence of Syphilis in People With HIV
- Synovial Fluid Cell Counts Do Not Accurately Differentiate Arthritis Types
- Truvada Approved for HIV-1 Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis in At-Risk Adolescents
- Real-Life Renal Outcomes With Sofosbuvir in Chronic Hepatitis C