Elevated Serum Calcium
Excess parathyroid hormone (PTH) secretion from a single parathyroid adenoma, hyperplasia of the parathyroids, parathyroid carcinoma
Especially tumors of the breast, lung, and kidney in which hypercalcemia may occur from direct bony metastasis
Multiple myeloma that directly degrades bone
Other cancers that produce hypercalcemia by inducing PTH secretion
Excess vitamin D intake
Prolonged use of diuretics and thiazides known to produce hypercalcemia
Severe hypercalcemia favors a diagnosis of cancer.
Commonly Encountered Situations
Hypercalcemia from malignancy is especially common.
Suggested Additional Lab Testing
In primary hyperparathyroidism, serum PTH is increased and serum phosphorus is decreased.
In hypercalcemia of malignancy, serum phosphorus is decreased in approximately 50% of patients, and there is a decrease in the serum PTH in these patients.
Serum protein electrophoresis is useful in the assessment for multiple myeloma. Serum 1,25-dihydroxy vitamin D is low in hypercalcemia of malignancy. It is often increased in primary hyperparathyroidism.
Copyright © 2017, 2013 Decision Support in Medicine, LLC. All rights reserved.
No sponsor or advertiser has participated in, approved or paid for the content provided by Decision Support in Medicine LLC. The Licensed Content is the property of and copyrighted by DSM.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Infectious Disease Advisor Articles
- Importance of PrEP for People Involved in Criminal Justice Systems
- CDC Report on Recommendation Adherence in Uncomplicated Gonorrhea Treatment
- Increasing Incidence of Syphilis in People With HIV
- FDA: Possible Risk of Neural Tube Birth Defects With Certain Antiretroviral Agents
- MenACWY-TT Vaccine Can Be Effectively Coadministered With Routine Pediatric Immunizations
- Infections Complicating the Use of Monoclonal Antibodies for Malignancy
- Curbing Overuse of Blood Cultures in the Emergency Department
- How Important Is the Timing of Antibiotics for Surviving Sepsis?
- The 'Attitude Roots' Underlying Antivaccination Beliefs
- Why Treating Major Depressive Disorder Improves Outcomes in HIV
- AAP Recommends Shot Over Nasal Spray for 2018-2019 Flu Season
- Study Supports Development of a Vaccine for Recurrent Vulvovaginal Candidiasis
- Liver Stiffness Measurement as a Potential Screening Tool for Liver-Related Events in HCV
- Doptelet Approved for Chronic Liver Disease Patients With Thrombocytopenia
- Good Evidence That HPV Vaccines Protect Against Cervical Precancer