Positive Screening Test for HIV
Patient has an HIV infection.
Screening test is a false-positive; there is no HIV infection.
Suggested Additional Lab Testing
Most important test for patient with a positive HIV screening test
Will determine if patient has antibodies to specific HIV-associated proteins
Will confirm or refute a diagnosis of HIV infection.
Some HIV-positive patients have a low CD4 count.
Extent of decrease may be useful in making decisions about prophylaxis against opportunistic infections.
HIV viral load
More than 5000 copies/mL suggests progression
Less than 5000 copies/mL is the target for successful treatment of HIV.
Copyright © 2017, 2013 Decision Support in Medicine, LLC. All rights reserved.
No sponsor or advertiser has participated in, approved or paid for the content provided by Decision Support in Medicine LLC. The Licensed Content is the property of and copyrighted by DSM.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Infectious Disease Advisor Articles
- Importance of PrEP for People Involved in Criminal Justice Systems
- CDC Report on Recommendation Adherence in Uncomplicated Gonorrhea Treatment
- Increasing Incidence of Syphilis in People With HIV
- FDA: Possible Risk of Neural Tube Birth Defects With Certain Antiretroviral Agents
- MenACWY-TT Vaccine Can Be Effectively Coadministered With Routine Pediatric Immunizations
- Infections Complicating the Use of Monoclonal Antibodies for Malignancy
- How Important Is the Timing of Antibiotics for Surviving Sepsis?
- Curbing Overuse of Blood Cultures in the Emergency Department
- The 'Attitude Roots' Underlying Antivaccination Beliefs
- Why Treating Major Depressive Disorder Improves Outcomes in HIV
- Fungal Infections of the CNS: Diagnostic and Treatment Approaches
- Hepatitis E Seroprevalence Rates in the United States and Latin America
- Short Cycle ART Noninferior to Continuous Therapy in Youth With HIV
- Lower Rheumatoid Arthritis Disease Activity Associated With Fewer Serious Infections
- Removing Low-Risk Penicillin Allergy Label Leads to Healthcare Cost Savings