Generic Name and Formulations:
Diphenoxylate HCl 2.5mg, atropine sulfate 0.025mg; tabs.
Indications for LOMOTIL:
Adjunct therapy in the management of diarrhea.
≥13yrs: 2 tabs 4 times daily until diarrhea is controlled; max 20mg/day. Maintenance: 2 tabs daily. Discontinue if no improvement within 10 days after treatment with max dose.
<13yrs: not established.
Age <6yrs (risks of respiratory and/or CNS depression). Diarrhea associated with pseudomembranous enterocolitis or other enterotoxin-producing bacteria due to risk of GI complications (including sepsis). Obstructive jaundice.
Dehydration. Electrolyte imbalance. Acute ulcerative colitis; discontinue if toxic megacolon occurs. Hepatic or renal impairment. Drug abusers. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers.
Opioid + anticholinergic.
Avoid alcohol. Concomitant MAOIs may cause hypertensive crisis; avoid use. Potentiates sedation with alcohol or other CNS depressants (eg, barbiturates, benzodiazepines, sedatives/hypnotics, anxiolytics, tranquilizers, general anesthetics, antipsychotics, opioids, buspirone, antihistamines, muscle relaxants); monitor closely. May delay elimination of other drugs metabolized by CPY450.
Nausea, vomiting, abdominal discomfort, paralytic ileus, toxic megacolon, dizziness, drowsiness, headache, euphoria, tachycardia, numbness of extremities, pruritus, urticaria, angioneurotic edema, anticholinergic effects; respiratory depression (overdosage), atropinism (esp. in pediatrics with Down's syndrome).
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Infectious Disease Advisor Articles
- Antibiotic Use in Neonatal Settings in Need of Improvement
- Whole Genome Sequencing Use in Predicting TB Resistance
- Rapid Antimicrobial Susceptibility Testing on Urine Directly Accelerates Results
- Antibiotics May Be Beneficial in Children With Prolonged Wet Cough
- Emergency Department Overcrowding Associated With Delayed Antibiotics in Patients With Sepsis
- Success With DAA for Hepatitis C Prior to Stem Cell Transplant
- Shorter Antibiotic Course Noninferior for Gram-Negative Bacteremia
- Dolutegravir Plus Lamivudine Promising for HIV Maintenance Therapy
- Trial Results Affected by Heterogeneous CAP Inclusion Criteria
- Screening Blood Donations Mitigates Transfusion-Transmitted Babesiosis Risk