Generic Name and Formulations:
Mometasone furoate (as furoate monohydrate) 50mcg/spray; aqueous nasal spray.
Merck & Co., Inc.
Indications for NASONEX:
Treatment of seasonal and perennial allergic rhinitis symptoms in patients ≥2yrs of age. Prophylaxis of seasonal allergic rhinitis symptoms in patients ≥12yrs of age. Nasal polyps.
Allergic rhinitis: 2 sprays in each nostril once daily; prophylaxis: begin 2–4 weeks prior to anticipated start of pollen season. Nasal polyps: ≥18yrs: 2 sprays in each nostril 1–2 times daily.
Allergic rhinitis: <2yrs: not established. 2–11yrs: 1 spray in each nostril once daily. Nasal polyps: <18yrs: not established.
Maintain regular regimen. Respiratory tract tuberculosis. Infections (eg, ocular herpes simplex). If exposed to measles or chickenpox, consider anti-infective prophylactic therapy. If adrenal insufficiency exists following systemic corticosteroid therapy, replacement with topical corticosteroids may exacerbate symptoms of adrenal insufficiency (eg, depression). Monitor for growth suppression in children. Monitor for hypercorticism and HPA axis suppression (if occur discontinue gradually), and candida infection or other nasal mucosal changes. Glaucoma and/or cataracts. Discontinue if nasopharyngeal candida infection occurs. Avoid eyes. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Caution when concomitant ketoconazole (long-term) and other strong CYP3A4 inhibitors (eg, ritonavir, cobicistat-containing products, atazanavir, clarithromycin, indinavir, itraconazole, nefazodone, nelfinavir, saquinavir, telithromycin); monitor.
Headache, viral infection, pharyngitis, epistaxis, cough, upper respiratory tract infections, pain, sinusitis, reduced growth velocity in children; rare: nasal ulcers.
Spray—17g (120 sprays)
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Infectious Disease Advisor Articles
- Antibiotic Use in Neonatal Settings in Need of Improvement
- Whole Genome Sequencing Use in Predicting TB Resistance
- Rapid Antimicrobial Susceptibility Testing on Urine Directly Accelerates Results
- Antibiotics May Be Beneficial in Children With Prolonged Wet Cough
- Emergency Department Overcrowding Associated With Delayed Antibiotics in Patients With Sepsis
- Interferon Alfa May Decrease the Incidence of Chronic HCV Infection
- Predicative Factors for Relapse in Adult Bacterial Osteomyelitis
- Supply Updates Announced for Recombivax HBV Vaccines
- Point-of-Care Testing Methods Compared for Influenza Detection
- Success With DAA for Hepatitis C Prior to Stem Cell Transplant