NICORETTE MINI LOZENGE OTC
Generic Name and Formulations:
Nicotine polacrilex 2mg, 4mg; contains sodium; mint flavor.
Indications for NICORETTE MINI LOZENGE:
Adjunct in smoking cessation therapy.
Start on quit day. Do not chew or swallow lozenge. Use 2mg if patient smoked first cigarette >30 mins after waking up; use 4mg if patient smoked first cigarette within 30 mins of waking up. Dissolve slowly in mouth; minimize swallowing. ≥18yrs: 1 lozenge every 1–2hrs (at least 9 lozenges/day) for 6 weeks, then every 2–4hrs for 3 weeks, then every 4–8hrs for 3 weeks, then stop; max 5 lozenges/6hrs (20 lozenges/day).
<18yrs: not recommended.
Cardiovascular disease, recent heart attack, irregular heart beat. Uncontrolled hypertension. Peptic ulcer disease. Diabetes. History of seizures. Sodium-restricted diet. Discontinue and evaluate if irregular heart beat, palpitations, mouth/teeth/jaw problems, persistent indigestion, severe sore throat, nicotine overdose symptoms, or allergic reactions occur. Keep out of reach of children and pets. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers.
Do not eat or drink for 15 mins before and during use. Concomitant other non-nicotine smoking cessation drug. Concomitant antidepressants or anti-asthmatic drugs; may need to adjust dose.
Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, hiccups, heartburn, dizziness, palpitations, hypertension, mouth problems.
Gum—20, 100, 110, 200; Lozenge—(mint, cherry)—72; (original)—108; Mini lozenge—20, 81, 108, 135
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Infectious Disease Advisor Articles
- Antibiotic Use in Neonatal Settings in Need of Improvement
- Whole Genome Sequencing Use in Predicting TB Resistance
- Rapid Antimicrobial Susceptibility Testing on Urine Directly Accelerates Results
- Antibiotics May Be Beneficial in Children With Prolonged Wet Cough
- Emergency Department Overcrowding Associated With Delayed Antibiotics in Patients With Sepsis
- Success With DAA for Hepatitis C Prior to Stem Cell Transplant
- Shorter Antibiotic Course Noninferior for Gram-Negative Bacteremia
- Dolutegravir Plus Lamivudine Promising for HIV Maintenance Therapy
- Trial Results Affected by Heterogeneous CAP Inclusion Criteria
- Screening Blood Donations Mitigates Transfusion-Transmitted Babesiosis Risk