Experts discuss the various imaging modalities for children who require diagnostic workup beyond urine culture, as well as the consequences of overusing antibiotics and antibiotic route of administration.
The morphology of the lesions included erythematous papules, pseudovesicles, and plaques, with associated pain in 2 and pruritus in 3 patients; systemic symptoms ranged from none to low‐grade fevers, upper respiratory symptoms, and joint pain.
Findings provide an alternative explanation for virus acquisition and shedding in seroimumne pregnant women that contrasts with proposed mechanisms that argue that reactivation of persistent infection in seroimmune women leads to infection and virus shedding.
Compared with the general population, children with autism spectrum disorder and their younger siblings are undervaccinated.
Study evaluated the immunogenicity and safety of 1 and 2 doses of the quadrivalent meningococcal serogroups A, C, W, Y tetanus toxoid-conjugate vaccine in individuals with functional or anatomic asplenia.
Investigators assessed the need for conducting routine voiding cystourethrograms in infants diagnosed with urinary tract infection.
Human rhinovirus is common in febrile infants, and detection does not alter risk of concomitant UTI.
MenB-FHbp was safe and immunogenic after dose 2 and dose 3 and was also associated with more injection-site reactions than hepatitis A virus vaccine and saline.
Young infants assessed for central nervous system infection rarely have herpes simplex virus.
Infants born via vaginal delivery to mothers exposed to intrapartum antibiotic prophylaxis for group B Streptococcus demonstrated altered fecal microbiota immediately following birth.
Rate of infants with a UTI who received 4 or more days of intravenous antibiotics decreased from 2005 to 2015.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Infectious Disease Advisor Articles
- Generic HIV Medicines: Boon or Bust?
- Insulin-Treated Diabetes Reduces Dysglycemia-Related Mortality in Sepsis
- It Costs $2.2 Billion a Year to Treat Antibiotic Resistance
- Tricyclic Antidepressants May Reduce Cirrhosis Risk in Hepatitis C
- Pregnancy May Be Independently Associated With Prolonged Detection of Zika Virus RNA
- Clostridium difficile Infection in the Intensive Care Setting
- Combating Medically Important Antibiotic Use in Food-Producing Animals
- Religious Exemptions vs Mandatory Vaccinations: An Expert Perspective
- 2018 Vaccination Schedule: Adults
- Fingerstick Point-of-Care Test Allows for Single-Visit HCV Diagnoses
- Glecaprevir/Pibrentasvir Highly Efficacious for HCV/HIV Coinfection
- Fluoroquinolone Use May Increase Risk for Aortic Aneurysm and Dissection
- Reduced Risk of Hepatocellular Carcinoma in DAA-Treated HCV Infection
- Paracetamol Overuse During Cold and Flu Season
- C difficile Risk Higher With Stoma Reversal vs Colectomy