Generic Name and Formulations:
Galantamine (as HBr) 4mg, 8mg, 12mg; tabs.
Janssen Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
Indications for RAZADYNE:
Mild to moderate Alzheimer's dementia.
Give with AM & PM meals. Initially 4mg twice daily; if well-tolerated, increase to maintenance dose 8mg twice daily (16mg/day) after minimum of 4 weeks; may attempt further increase to 12mg twice daily (24mg/day) after minimum of 4 weeks. Re-titrate if interrupted for >3 days. Moderate hepatic or renal impairment (CrCl 9–59mL/min): usual max 16mg/day.
Discontinue at the first sign of skin rash, unless not drug-related; consider alternative therapy if serious skin reactions occur. Conduction disorders (eg, bradycardia, AV block). History of ulcer disease. Bladder outflow obstruction. Asthma. COPD. Seizures. Monitor for active or occult GI bleed, respiratory or neurological effects, and patient's weight. Maintain adequate hydration. Severe hepatic or renal impairment (CrCl <9mL/min): not recommended. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Reversible acetylcholinesterase inhibitor (benzazepine deriv).
Potentiates neuromuscular blockers (eg, succinylcholine), cholinesterase inhibitors, cholinergic agonists (eg, bethanechol). Antagonizes anticholinergics. Caution with drugs that slow heart rate. May be potentiated by ketoconazole, cimetidine, paroxetine, fluoxetine, erythromycin, possibly others that affect CYP2D6 or CYP3A4. Monitor for GI bleed with NSAIDs.
Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, dizziness, headache, decreased appetite, anorexia, weight loss, syncope, bradycardia, heart block, seizures; serious skin reactions (eg, Stevens-Johnson syndrome).
This product was formerly named Reminyl.
Tabs—60; Soln—contact supplier; ER caps—30
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Infectious Disease Advisor Articles
- Antibiotic Use in Neonatal Settings in Need of Improvement
- Whole Genome Sequencing Use in Predicting TB Resistance
- Rapid Antimicrobial Susceptibility Testing on Urine Directly Accelerates Results
- Antibiotics May Be Beneficial in Children With Prolonged Wet Cough
- Emergency Department Overcrowding Associated With Delayed Antibiotics in Patients With Sepsis
- Success With DAA for Hepatitis C Prior to Stem Cell Transplant
- Shorter Antibiotic Course Noninferior for Gram-Negative Bacteremia
- Dolutegravir Plus Lamivudine Promising for HIV Maintenance Therapy
- Trial Results Affected by Heterogeneous CAP Inclusion Criteria
- Screening Blood Donations Mitigates Transfusion-Transmitted Babesiosis Risk