A 56-year-old man with improved flu-like symptoms, but marked shortness of breath and palpitations, presents to an urgent care center.
Additional studies are needed to investigate whether there are differences between individual fluoroquinolones with respect to the risk for aortic aneurysm.
During the cold and flu season, the use and over-dosing of paracetamol is common, and may partially be driven by higher use of over-the-counter combination medications for the treatment of upper respiratory cold/flu symptoms.
Researchers found increased myocardial infarction rates during the week after Streptococcus pneumoniae and influenza infections.
Researchers assessed the relationship between prevention of RSV in preterm infants and the frequency of subsequent wheeze in childhood.
When antibiotics are indicated for the treatment of acute bacterial sinusitis, the Infectious Diseases Society of America evidence-based clinical practice guidelines recommend 5 to 7 days of therapy for patients with a low risk of antibiotic resistance who have a favorable response to initial therapy.
Childhood measles compounds the association between smoking and midlife airflow obstruction.
The probability of direct transmission of respiratory diseases for passengers on transcontinental US flights not seated in close proximity to an infectious passenger is low.
Children receiving 3 months of once-weekly isoniazid and rifapentine were more likely to complete therapy than those receiving 9 months of daily isoniazid.
All formulations of a respiratory syncytial virus (RSV) candidate vaccine were able to boost RSV antibody titers and their safety profile was similar to the Tdap vaccine.
Patients with type 2 diabetes treated with sulfonylureas may be at a higher risk of contracting tuberculosis.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Infectious Disease Advisor Articles
- Generic HIV Medicines: Boon or Bust?
- Insulin-Treated Diabetes Reduces Dysglycemia-Related Mortality in Sepsis
- It Costs $2.2 Billion a Year to Treat Antibiotic Resistance
- Pregnancy May Be Independently Associated With Prolonged Detection of Zika Virus RNA
- Tricyclic Antidepressants May Reduce Cirrhosis Risk in Hepatitis C
- Clostridium difficile Infection in the Intensive Care Setting
- Combating Medically Important Antibiotic Use in Food-Producing Animals
- Religious Exemptions vs Mandatory Vaccinations: An Expert Perspective
- 2018 Vaccination Schedule: Adults
- Fingerstick Point-of-Care Test Allows for Single-Visit HCV Diagnoses
- Glecaprevir/Pibrentasvir Highly Efficacious for HCV/HIV Coinfection
- Fluoroquinolone Use May Increase Risk for Aortic Aneurysm and Dissection
- Reduced Risk of Hepatocellular Carcinoma in DAA-Treated HCV Infection
- Paracetamol Overuse During Cold and Flu Season
- C difficile Risk Higher With Stoma Reversal vs Colectomy