Generic Name and Formulations:
Naldemedine 0.2mg; tabs.
Indications for SYMPROIC:
Opioid-induced constipation in adults with chronic non-cancer pain, including patients with chronic pain related to prior cancer or its treatment who do not require frequent (eg, weekly) opioid dosage escalation.
Take with or without food. 0.2mg once daily. Discontinue if opioid pain therapy is also discontinued.
Known or suspected GI obstruction. Patients at increased risk of recurrent obstruction.
Risk of GI perforation in those with conditions associated with reduction in structural integrity of the GI tract wall (eg, peptic ulcer disease, Ogilvie’s syndrome, diverticular disease, infiltrative GI tract malignancies, or peritoneal metastases). Monitor for abdominal pain; discontinue if severe, persistent, or worsening symptoms occur. Monitor for symptoms of opioid withdrawal (esp. patients having disruptions to the blood brain barrier). Severe hepatic impairment (Child-Pugh Class C): avoid. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers: not recommended (during and for 3 days after final dose).
Opioid antagonist (peripheral).
Avoid concomitant strong CYP3A inducers (eg, rifampin, carbamazepine, phenytoin, St. John’s Wort) or other opioid antagonists. Potentiated by moderate (eg, fluconazole, atazanavir, aprepitant, diltiazem, erythromycin) and strong CYP3A inhibitors (eg, itraconazole, ketoconazole, clarithromycin, ritonavir, saquinavir), or P-gp inhibitors (eg, amiodarone, captopril, cyclosporine, quercetin, quinidine, verapamil); monitor.
Abdominal pain, diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, gastroenteritis; opioid withdrawal.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Infectious Disease Advisor Articles
- Antibiotic Use in Neonatal Settings in Need of Improvement
- Whole Genome Sequencing Use in Predicting TB Resistance
- Rapid Antimicrobial Susceptibility Testing on Urine Directly Accelerates Results
- Antibiotics May Be Beneficial in Children With Prolonged Wet Cough
- Emergency Department Overcrowding Associated With Delayed Antibiotics in Patients With Sepsis
- Success With DAA for Hepatitis C Prior to Stem Cell Transplant
- Shorter Antibiotic Course Noninferior for Gram-Negative Bacteremia
- Dolutegravir Plus Lamivudine Promising for HIV Maintenance Therapy
- Trial Results Affected by Heterogeneous CAP Inclusion Criteria
- Screening Blood Donations Mitigates Transfusion-Transmitted Babesiosis Risk